July 29-August 2, 2019
Michigan State University
The New Advanced 4-H Renewable Energy Camp is a five-day, pre-college program held at Michigan State University (MSU) that explores ideas, research and opportunities around renewable energy. In 2019, youth will work with MSU Extension Educators on the campus of MSU while engaging in a variety of experiences and explorations focused on solar energy.
Experiences may include:
- Tri-County Electrical Cooperation
- MSU solar research sites
- Harvest Energy Solutions Solar Project
- Grand Valley Farm-solar thermal energy
- Dunklee Family Farm
- How solar radiation is converted to direct current and utilized by a load.
- How to minimize electricity use and understand an electric bill.
- Design and develop a solar array model that will power their home.
- Design challenge-modify their home array to meet the expanded needs of a farm, small business, or electric vehicle charging station.
Youth will visit labs that are conducting cutting edge renewable energy research, renewable energy companies that think outside the box, and farms that are using renewable energy to remain profitable. This interactive camp will engage youth in experiments, questions and conversations focused on the application of solar radiation into electricity. Camp will culminate with teams of youth designing solutions for incorporating solar energy into real-life applications.
Who Should Attend?
Youth, 13-15 years of age (as of January 1, 2019) with basic knowledge of electricity and who are interested in exploring the application, research and opportunities in the field of solar energy.
Where and When:
Camp begins with check-in on Monday, July 29, 2019, from noon to 1 p.m. and ends on Friday, August 2, 2019 at 12:30 p.m. Lodging is at Shaw Hall on the campus of Michigan State University. The camp will take place both on and off campus.
How do I apply?
Applications will be available in April. Questions? Please contact Insa Raymond at email@example.com or at 517-439-9301.
What is the cost?
The cost to attend this five-day camp is just $275.00 ($295.00 for youth who are not 4-H members) and includes all meals, transportation to field trips, lodging and materials.
- Application process is online. Applications must be received by May 1, 2019.
- Youth will be notified of acceptance by May 15, 2019.
- Payment is due by Jne 1, 2019.
To learn about the outcomes and impacts this camp has on young people review the one-page 2018 Impact Summary
Interested in becoming a Teen Leader? Download the application here.