July 6-10, 2020
Michigan State University
The New Advanced 4-H Renewable Energy Camp is a five-day, pre-college program held at Michigan State University (MSU) that explores ideas, research and opportunities around renewable energy. In 2020, youth will work with MSU Extension Educators on the campus of MSU while engaging in a variety of experiences and explorations focused on solar energy.
Experiences may include:
- HomeWorks Tri County Electric Cooperative
- MSU solar research sites
- Harvest Energy Solutions Solar Project
- Grand Valley Farm-solar thermal energy
- Dunklee Family Farm
- How solar radiation is converted to direct current and utilized by a load.
- How to minimize electricity use and understand an electric bill.
- Design and develop a solar array model that will power their home.
- Design challenge-modify their home array to meet the expanded needs of a farm, small business, or electric vehicle charging station.
Youth will visit labs that are conducting cutting edge renewable energy research, renewable energy companies that think outside the box, and farms that are using renewable energy to remain profitable. This interactive camp will engage youth in experiments, questions and conversations focused on the application of solar radiation into electricity. Camp will culminate with teams of youth designing solutions for incorporating solar energy into real-life applications.
Who Should Attend?
Youth, 13-15 years of age (as of January 1, 2020) with basic knowledge of electricity and who are interested in exploring the application, research and opportunities in the field of solar energy.
Where and When:
Camp begins with check-in on Monday, July 6, 2020, from noon to 1 p.m. and ends on Friday, July 10, 2020 at 12:30 p.m. Lodging is at Shaw Hall on the campus of Michigan State University. The camp will take place both on and off campus.
How do I apply?
To apply click on this link https://forms.gle/HGCqajtMnmqLsT4r6 and complete the application form. Application forms must be received by April 15, 2020. Selected applicants will be notified by April 23, 2020, and will be sent the link to register for camp.
Selection is based on:
- Responses to short answer questions.
- Fully completed applications.
- Regional representation of the State.
Questions? Please contact Beth Wood at 989-724-6478 or email email@example.com
What is the cost?
The cost to attend this five-day camp is just $280.00 ($300.00 for youth who are not 4-H members) Non 4-H members will need to sign up for 4-H at 4honline.com and include the $20.00 4-H fee with their registration. The cost includes all meals, transportation to field trips, lodging and materials.
- Application forms must be completed and submitted by April 15, 2020.
- Youth will be notified of acceptance by April 23, 2020. The link to register for camp will be sent to the email you provide in your application.
- Online registration and payment for camp are due by June 1, 2020.
- No refunds will be given after June 3, 2020.