Justin S. Morrill Leadership Fellows
The Justin S. Morrill Leadership Fellows are a select group of undergraduate students in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) who have demonstrated significant academic achievement and participation in campus life and student leadership.
Morrill Leadership Fellows represent MSU and the CANR to prospective students, alumni, industry partners, community stakeholders and elected officials. Activities take place on campus, throughout the state of Michigan and beyond. Morrill Fellows also help answer questions from prospective students.
Members of the Morrill Leadership Fellows receive a small scholarship per semester.
Interested students submit an application, resume, and two letters of recommendation in the April preceding the fall semester in which they will sever as Morrill Fellows.
Selection as a Justin S. Morrill Leadership Fellow is a competitive process including:
- All applications are reviewed by the selection committee and selected applicants will be contacted for an interview. Applicants selected for interviews will be notified via email and a call.
- Those selected for an interview will be asked to give a 5-minute presentation that reflects how you would promote the CANR academic programs and student opportunities to a group of prospective students.
- Following the presentation, the selection committee will ask a series of questions to get to know applicants and assess their skills and abilities as a fit for the program.
Morrill Leadership Fellows represent the CANR both on campus and off campus. Travel expense are covered by the CANR.
Applicants must be able to:
- Represent the CANR at events like the Marathon of Majors, conferences, high school career fairs and classroom presentations, college fairs, CANR alumni events and events for the community and college partners.
- Attend required training sessions and regular meetings throughout the semester.
- Demonstrate a willingness to be a part of the program through special projects and communications.
For more details on the application and for any questions, contact the CANR Office of Academic and Student Affairs at 517-355-0234.
Support the Morrill Fellows
Give to the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources’ Morrill Fellows Fund and support their leadership experiences.
Not only are the Morrill Fellows the leaders of CANR student clubs and organizations, but they are building up to become leaders beyond their time in the program. As our advocates for the industry 40 years from now, the Morrill Fellows are the voices of the future.
Some examples of the impact you can make with your financial support are:
- $2,500 could support a cohort’s experiential leadership and skill-building opportunities during an academic year.
- $1,500 could support a student's scholarship for a full academic year.
These experiences help further develop students’ leadership and presentation skills while offering opportunities to network and shape their future careers. Morrill Fellows also share what it’s like to be a part of the CANR community that provides research, academics and outreach more broadly to Michigan and beyond.