How to Apply
Applications for the CANR Undergraduate Research Program (URP) are now open for:
- Summer semester 2021: Due by March 14, 2021.
- Fall semester 2021: Due by March 28, 2021.
NOTE: Once you submit your application, your faculty mentor will be pinged to submit a reference form by March 17, 2021, for summer 2021 funding and by March 31, 2021, for fall 2021 funding.
These funds are for students whose primary major is in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) only. Secondary majors, minors and coordinate majors are not eligible for this program.
Students may receive funds from this source for two semesters only.
How to Apply
1. Identify and secure a faculty research mentor.
You may work with any faculty member at MSU.
Find a faculty member by:
- Contacting a faculty member directly to ask about current research or discuss working on a research idea that interests you.
- Asking your academic advisor if they know of faculty who are looking for students assistant for their projects.
- Asking peers, faculty and mentors for suggestions.
2. Develop your project description.
Write the project description with guidance from your faculty research mentor. A project description needs to concisely communicate several things about the proposed research project.
Your description should include:
- Problem statement: Provide the most important background information that will establish why your objectives are unique and relevant.
- Objectives: Explain what hypothesis you will test or what questions you will address.
- Approach: Provide a brief highlight of the main methods you will use to conduct your research.
- Anticipated outcomes: Summarize what you expect to accomplish through your proposed research project and why the findings will be relevant.
3. Submit your application for funding.
After securing a faculty research mentor and research project, fill out and submit the Undergraduate Research Program Funding Request Application.
- Review the Evaluation Rubric and Hints for Applicants pages to see how the CANR URP Selection Committee will score your application.
- When filling out the application, you will be asked to provide information about your faculty research mentor.
- When your application is submitted, an automated email will be sent your research mentor to upload a letter of recommendation for you. Let your research mentor know they are required to provide a letter of reference as part of your application packet.
NOTE: These funds are for students whose primary major is in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR) only. Secondary majors, minors and coordinate majors are not eligible for this program. Awardees are eligible to receive funding once a semester, but not to exceed two semesters.
Rough application dates:
- Mid-September through October for spring semester
- February/March for summer semester
- February/March for fall semester
- Undergraduate student with a primary major in CANR
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Any class level except seniors in their last semester
NOTES: These funds are for students whose primary major is in the College of Agriculture and Natural resources only. Secondary majors, minors and coordinate majors are not eligible for this program.
Contact Stratton Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.