Graduate Research Assistantship (M.Sc. Student)
The MSU SoP Almenar lab (https://www.canr.msu.edu/almenar/index ) is looking to hire a highly motivated Graduate Research Assistant to work on a project focused on assessing the effectiveness of a novel antimicrobial treatment in extending the shelf life and enhancing the safety of packaged food including two different food categories: produce and meats. Activities include but are not limited to literature review, food processing, sanitation, packaging, microbial studies, sensory evaluation, physico-chemical characterization, collection of quantitative data, analysis of data(including statistical analysis), interpretation of results, documentation of progress in written form, and dissemination of results via publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Sc. degree in Food Science, Packaging, or a related discipline.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English.
- Cooperative attitude while working with a diverse group including students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong work ethic.
- Strong motivation and interest in research.
- Experience in writing papers or reports.
- Experience and/or knowledge in food physico-chemical, microbial, and sensory evaluations.
- Ability to design experiments to test relevant research hypothesis.
- Analytical skills to identify problems and create solutions independently with minimal instruction or supervision.
- Good organizational skills.
Job duration: 2 semesters (Fall 2020 and Spring 2021). The assistantship includes stipend, tuition, and health insurance. Additional funds are available for research supplies. Possible funding for year 2 will be discussed during the interview process.
Job type: Full time
Institution: Michigan State University
Location: 448 Wilson Rd., East Lansing, MI, USA
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, a CV, academic transcripts, GRE, and TOEFL (if applicable), and two letters of references to Dr. Almenar (email@example.com) with “Application for Graduate Research Assistant position” in the subject line before February 1st. Hiring will proceed on a rolling basis, so early application is encouraged.