Gary Seevers provided a gift to renovate Cook Hall to provide a collaborative space for graduate students within the Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics to study and work together.
Built in 1889, Cook-Seevers Hall is on the northeast side of campus in “Laboratory Row.” In 1969, the building was named Cook Hall in honor of Albert J. Cook, one of the leading economic entomologists in the United States. He graduated in 1862 from what was then Michigan State College and returned in 1867 to lead the zoology and entomology programs. Upon completion of the renovation, the building was renamed Cook-Seevers Hall in honor of both Spartans who have left their mark on MSU.
The renovation builds accessibility into the building’s infrastructure with the addition of an elevator and accessible entrance. The first and second floors house modern technology, desks and meeting spaces for graduate students – those students who are on the same scholastic journey as Seevers was from 1964 to 1968. Other renovations include restoration of the ceilings, walls, woodwork and period lighting to preserve the building’s historic origins.
Successful agricultural economist gives donation to renovate historical Cook Hall – a place of many memories
Successful agricultural economist Gary L. Seevers gives $3 million donation to renovate historical Cook Hall.