Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Alumni Award
This award, created in 2019, celebrates the rich diversity of the CANR alumni community. An alumnus will be honored annually for their professional accomplishments and service contributions to CANR, their field, and/or to their community, in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The focus areas of the nominations are as follows:
Career – Accomplishments/Contributions related to Diversity and Inclusion:
- Successful career path and/or entrepreneurial ventures
- Career achievements in their field
- Professional awards and honors
- Publications and Lectures
Service to MSU CANR – Accomplishments/Contributions related to Diversity and Inclusion:
- Leadership through supporting current students and student organizations
- Support of the Alumni Council and its initiatives
- Participation in alumni programs and events
Community Service – Accomplishments/Contributions related to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Inclusion:
- Leadership and mentoring of youth
- Membership or support of civic, charitable or religious organizations
- Other community-related volunteer service or philanthropic support
Rules for Selection: Nominees must have graduated from MSU CANR University as of June 2020. Alumni association board members cannot be nominated while they are serving on the board. A complete nomination must be submitted and include the nomination form and a detailed list of accomplishments/contributions in any or all of the three focus areas. Optional supporting documentation could include: press releases, articles, resume, publications and support letters.
If not selected in the first year, those submitting a nomination will be given the opportunity to update the nomination packet before consideration the second and third year. If a nominee is not selected within the three years, they will be removed from the nomination pool, but could be nominated again at a later time.
Published on February 28, 2022
Rodney Cole will receive the 2022 CANR Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Alumni Award during ANR Week.
Published on June 22, 2021
This top award recognizes work done in the space of diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the 2019-2020 academic year.
Published on February 16, 2021
Leonard Savala, III, Ph.D., will receive the 2021 CANR Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Alumni Award during ANR Month.
Published on February 25, 2020
Dave Weatherspoon to receive 2020 CANR Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award at ANR Week.
Award candidates may be nominated by departments, administrators, CANR alumni board members, faculty, alumni and industry stakeholders. Nominations are due Dec. 4, 2020.
Please review the following suggestions while considering a nomination.
- The awards committee is looking for recipients based on their commitment to the Land Grant mission of teaching, research and outreach activities.
- Professional, community and MSU service will also be considered in the selection process for all awards.
- Nominees for each of the five CANRAA awards will be considered for three subsequent years. If not selected in the first year, those submitting a nomination will be given the opportunity to update the nomination form before consideration the second and third year. If a nominee is not selected within the three years, they will be removed from the nomination pool, but could be nominated again at a later time.
- Current faculty members should be nominated for the Distinguished Faculty Award. It is preferred that faculty not be nominated for the other awards. A nomination of a faculty member will not be refused however, preference will be made to non‑faculty members for those two awards.
- Alumni association board members cannot be nominated while they are serving on the board.
- Letters of recommendation are important in the selection process. We should suggest that nominators submit a maximum of four letters of support for the nomination. These letters should come from people who can support the nominee’s activities in the various areas including MSU service, their career and their community service.
The awards selection committee structure will consist of CANRAA board members and one ANR faculty or staff representative appointed by the Dean’s office.
Please contact Kathryn Reed at 517-355-0282 or via e-mail at email@example.com.