Rabbit & Cavy
Rabbits and cavies make great companions for kids! They don’t take a lot of space and can be an inexpensive project that can teach kids a lot about animal science and life skills lessons! American Rabbit Breeders Association recognizes over 48 different breeds of rabbits and 13 different breeds of cavies. There are big breeds, small breeds, long hair, short hair and all kinds of colors. If you would like to learn to raise and care for your rabbit or cavy, 4-H is the place to get the information you need to be successful. You can also show your animal, win awards or be a part of a judging or quiz bowl team. You can start a business to help with your project expenses. There are so many things you can do and learn with these small animals. Call the MSU Extension Office 269 945-1388 and we will help you find a 4-H rabbit and cavy club.
Barry County 4-H Rabbit Clinic
- 4-H families are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- Market Rabbit How To...what to look for in your rabbit, record books and more.
- Showmanship tips
- Thank you card making stations
- Young Clover activity
Animal Care & Well Being Guide for fairs, exhibitions and events.
Pre-registration is required for all youth planning to attend the Barry County fair with a rabbit or cavy project. Also included in the pre-registration packet is a lot of information to help you prepare for fair so that you know what to expect when you get there. The Barry County 4-H Rabbit Management Award application is also included in the packet. The pre-registrations are due in the Barry County MSU Extension Office by April 1.
Links to the pre-registration forms are below:
All youth exhibiting a rabbit or cavy at the Barry County Fair are required to complete a notebook or educational project. Participants with market projects are required to complete a market project specific notebook. Show off your knowledge and expertise in your project area!
Links to notebook guidelines below along with judging comment cards can be found below.
- Cavy Notebook Guidelines
- Rabbit Notebook Guidelines
- Notebook Judging Comment Cards
- Market Rabbit Notebook Guidelines
- Market Notebook Judging Comment Card
- Young Clover Notebook Guidelines
Project Snap Shot
- 4-H Animal Science Anywhere
- Zoonotic Disease
- Animal Care and Well Being Frequently Asked Questions
- Be Healthy at Fair Sign
- 4-H Cavy Fitting and Showmanship Leader’s Supplement
- 4-H Cavy Fitting and Showmanship Member’s Guide
- National 4-H Rabbit Curriculum
- Rabbit and Cavy Organizations
- Rabbit Fitting and Showmanship Guide
- Rabbit Tracks: Summer Rabbit Care
- Rabbit Tracks: Water
- Rabbit Tracks: Winter Rabbit Care