Helping adults deepen their learning about issues related to bullying, bias and harassment and ways these issues affect young people is a key component of the Be SAFE: Safe, Affirming and Fair Environments initiative. Michigan State University Extension offers face-to-face and online workshops for adult audiences.
The half-day ABC’s of Bullying Prevention: Addressing Bullying in Community Settings workshop is designed for adults who live with, care about and work with young people. Community members including those who work in schools, youth and family agencies, youth organizations (such as 4-H, Scouts, and Boys and Girls Clubs), juvenile justice, faith-based communities, recreation departments and other community groups – as well as parents and caregivers – come together to explore ways to address these important issues. (Be SAFE workshops specifically designed for parent and caregiver audiences are also available.)
The ABC’s of Bullying Prevention workshop is designed for participants to:
- Share perspectives on the prevalence and types of bullying behaviors affecting their communities – and explore how these perspectives connect with recent research.
- Examine bullying, bias and harassment through the lens of differences.
- Explore key strategies for addressing these complex issues at the personal, interpersonal, institutional and cultural levels.
- Learn about programs and resources that can be used in community settings.
A series of Be SAFE webinars is also available to help professionals, volunteers, parents and caregivers explore a variety of topics related to issues of bullying, bias and harassment. Click on the following titles for a description of past webinars and to view recordings:
- Helping Kids Connect With Their Emotional Resiliency
- Trauma Reactions to Bullying: Voices From Kids With Autism
- Exploring and Preventing Cyberbullying
- “I Don’t See Color” and Other Harmful Statements: Moving Toward Climates That Support Positive Dialogue About Race
- Is It Bullying or Sexual Harassment? Talking and Teaching About Sexual Harassment, Bullying and Gender Violence in Schools and Other Youth Settings
- Mindfulness and Adolescence: Windows of Opportunity to Enhance Health and Wellbeing
- This Is Your Brain Online: The Impact of Digital Technology on Mental Health
- Finding the Balance: Strategies for Using Digitial Technology in Healthy Ways
Webinars focused on additional topics are in development.
More information about dates and locations for Be SAFE workshops and webinars can be found on the MSU Extension Be SAFE events page.