Nutrition & Health
MSU Extension offers free nutrition education to those that qualify. Topics covered in classes include “My Plate & My Pyramid,” label reading, food safety, healthy snacks, basic nutrition and shopping smartly. Our nutrition instructor teaches in a variety of settings with individuals across the lifespan, from preschoolers to older adults
- Senior Project FRESH - Senior Project FRESH/Market FRESH gives coupon vouchers to eligible older adults to get Michigan-grown fruit, vegetables, herbs, spices and honey from farmers markets and roadside stands.
- Cooking Matters - Cooking Matters for Adults or Teens is a nutrition program where participants will learn how to eat healthy, cook and grocery shop on a limited budget. The program consists of six lessons, lasting approximately two hours each.
- Show Me Nutrition - A six-week program for youth from Pre-K through eighth grade. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in age appropriate, interactive, hands-on activities that promote good eating habits, positive body image, physical activity and food safety.
- SNAP Ed - Teaches youth, teens, adults and seniors how to make health a priority through an instructional series.
For more information on nutrition education or to set up a program in your community/ school/ organization located in Clinton County, contact:
Roxanne White, Program Instructor
Phone: (989) 224-5238
- Michigan Fresh – (Fact Sheets) MSU Extension Michigan Fresh educational program helps people explore our state’s bounty of fresh, locally grown fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamentals.
- Michigan Cottage Foods Information – The Department of Agriculture and Rural Development website has numerous resources if you are thinking of beginning your own food business.
Food Safety & Preservation Resources
- USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline: 1-800-535-4555
This hotline is staffed by food safety specialists. The “real person” hotline is available from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern time on weekdays year round. You can also choose from an extensive menu of recorded food safety messages 24 hours a day.
- Complete Guide to Home Canning (USDA)
- and Rural Development
Local Food Resources
- MSU Center For Regional Food Systems
- MSU Extension Community Food Systems Page
- MSU Product Center and Michigan Market Maker
Farmers Market Manager Resources