Online Michigan Cottage Food Law
This is an online training program for Michigan Cottage Food Law Food Safety certification. This training program requires a high speed internet connection. Participants will be able to print their certificate after successfully completing the online quiz at the end of the course.
The Michigan Cottage Food Law allows Michigan residents to manufacture and store particular foods in an unlicensed kitchen, such as a residential home. Through this program participants will learn about the Cottage food law and other principles you can use to provide safe products. Cottage Food Law Food Safety training educates on preparing and selling foods under the Cottage Food Law, producing a safe food product, production, packaging and labeling, storing and transporting. Questions? Contact Jeannie Nichols or Beth Waitrovich.
To register for this course you will need to create an account, sign in with your email/password, and complete the registration process. To watch a video tutorial, demonstrating an overview of the registration process, click on the following link: Online Course Registration Video Tutorial. Step-by-step instructions are below.
- Create your MSU Guest Account/Community ID and Password: Create Your Account.
- Login to the registration system with your Community ID and Password: Cottage Food Online
- Follow the instructions to register for the course. Upon registration, you will receive a receipt and instructions for accessing the course.
LOGGING INTO THE ONLINE COURSE
Once you have registered, follow the instructions below to login – you will use the same login credentials that you set during registration (your NetID is your email address used during registration and use the same password set during registration).
- Go to the Michigan State University’s Online Course System (known as Desire2Learn or D2L): https://d2l.msu.edu/.
- Click on the Login button. In the MSU NETID field enter your email address (enter the same email used during registration).
- Enter the password you set during registration.
- You will be logged into D2L - click on the View All Courses link and you will see the Cottage Food Law title.
*Note: If you need to reset your password go to: https://community.idm.msu.edu/ and select the option for Forgot Password.
If you need technical assistance please contact the Michigan State University Help Desk. They are available 24/7 at email@example.com or 1-800-500-1554. Tell them you are logging into an MSU Extension online course with an MSU Community ID.
- What is my username/NETID?
Your username (or NET ID) is the email address you used to create your account during registration (you use the same email address/password for registering and for taking the course).
- What URL do I go to for logging into the course?
Go to: https://d2l.msu.edu/. You will see the Michigan State University at the top of the page.
- I received a “not authenticated” response when trying to login – what do I do?
A “not authenticated” message is typically an issue with a password not being entered correctly. To reset your password at any time go to: https://community.idm.msu.edu/ and select the option for Forgot Password. You will receive an email from a sender called “Community ID” with a link to reset your password.
- I forgot my password – where can I reset it?
To reset your password at any time go to: https://community.idm.msu.edu/ and select the option for Forgot Password. You will receive an email from a sender called “Community ID” with a link to reset your password.
- Who can I call for technical support?
The Michigan State University Help Desk. They are available 24/7 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-500-1554. Tell them you are logging into an MSU Extension online course with an MSU Community ID.