Students are responsible for filling out forms prior to the relevant meeting or defense so that they are ready for faculty signatures and other information that must be completed by a faculty member. Take the form to the relevant meeting or event or send digitally to advisor.
Program Plan Forms
All students starting their program in Fall 2019 or later should use the program plan forms labeled as such. All former students should use the relevant previous program planning form unless you choose to change to the new program. If so, you will be bound by the new requirements, and should complete a Program Change form.
Page 2 for all Program Plan forms is located in “Other Forms” list.
Use Page 2 only if needed:
- if there are not enough lines on the main program plan page and you need more lines for program plan-required courses;
- if you are pursuing a dual degree, certification, or specialization.
Fillable Forms and Digital Signatures
All forms are fillable, including signature blocks. Use digital signatures whenever possible. (If any person in the sequence of signators signs by hand and/or scans the file before forwarding to the next signator, the form is no longer “digitally signable” by subsequent signators.)
We will return incorrectly completed forms/documents prior to our processing. To use forms effectively:
- Download relevant form to your computer before beginning to complete it, then open all forms with Adobe Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat Pro (not Preview or Read Only).
- Give your file a new name by adding your “last name, first name” at the beginning of the file title.
- When forwarding for signatures, sign it yourself, then send to your advisor, then send in sequence to other signators. Do NOT send the form simultaneously to multiple people for signatures.
- If your submission requires pages in addition to the signable "form" page (descriptions, essays, letters of support, explanations, budgets, etc.), create a PDF of each document first; then combine all the PDF files (including the "form" page) into a single PDF file before beginning any of the digital signatures. (Pages cannot be combined after signing.) If you need help with combining the files, contact the Graduate Secretary.
- Download 2020 CSUS MS-A Program Plan Form (for students who started program Fall 2019 or later)
- Download 2020 STPAM MS-A Program Plan Form (for students who started program Fall 2019 or later)
- Download Thesis Proposal Approval Form
- Download MS-A Final Defense & Exam Report Form
- Download Thesis Approval & IRB Approval Form (MSU final)
- Download Former CSUS MS-A Program Plan Form (for students who started program prior to Fall 2019)
- Download Former STPAM MS-A Program Plan Form (for students who started program prior to Fall 2019)
- Download 2020 CSUS MS-B Program Plan Form (for students who started program Fall 2019 or later)
- Download 2020 STPAM MS-B Program Plan Form (for students who started program Fall 2019 or later)
- Download MS-B Project Proposal Approval Form
- Download MS-B Project Final Exam Report Form
- Download Former CSUS MS-B Program Plan Form (for students who started program prior to Fall 2019)
- Download Former STPAM MS-B Program Plan Form (for students who started program prior to Fall 2019)
After completing and submitting the approved Program Planning form below, PhD students should enter program plan information in GradPlan, which then will be circulated electronically for digital signatures. The Graduate Program Coordinator will not approve GradPlan until GradPlan information exactly matches approved CSUS Program Planning form.
Committee members will receive a link via email from "FTU". (These email messages are sent to faculty only once. Students should track committee members' signatures and contact them if they do not sign in a timely manner.) If you missed the email message, you can access the instructions here.
- Download 2020 CSUS PhD Program Plan Form (for students who started program Fall 2019 or later)
- Download 2020 STPAM PhD Program Plan Form (for students who started program Fall 2019 or later)
- Download CSUS Comprehensive Program Statement (CPS) Approval Form (with comp exam scheduling aid fields, plus Faculty Norms document)
- Download Record of Comprehensive Exam
- Download Dissertation Proposal Approval Form
- Download Record of Dissertation & Oral Exam Form
- Download MSU Theses & Dissertations & IRB Final Approval Form (MSU final)
- Download Former CSUS PhD Program Plan Form (for students who started program prior to Fall 2019)
- Download Former STPAM PhD Program Plan Form (for students who started program prior to Fall 2019)
- Download Mentoring Document: Overview, Agreement Form, and Scales
- Download Page 2 - Program Plan, Dual Major, Certificates & Specializations Form
- Download Change in Program Plan Form
- Download Graduate Assistantship Review & Discussion Form (to be completed each semester)
- Download Graduate Assistantship Information Form - For Faculty
- Download Independent Study Form & Instructions
- Download Graduate Student Annual Self-Assessment Form
- Download INCOMPLETE GRADE: Agreement for Completion
- Download Extension Request for Completion of MA/MS, PhD Comprehensive Exam, or PhD
- Responsible Conduct of Research and Scholarship (RCRS) Guidelines and Forms (calendar year training; documentation due December 31 each year)
- Download Request for ESPP Dual Majors PhD Degree MOU
- Download ESPP Dual Majors Addendum to MOU (to reflect changes made in program plan)
- Download PhD Dual Major Instructions (non-ESPP)
- Download PhD Dual Major MOU (non-ESPP)
- Download Leave of Absence Checklist & Form
- Download Medical Leave and Return Process Guidelines
- Download Change of Major Form (department to department)
- NOTE: Students wanting to change to CSUS Department must apply following the regular application process and deadlines (but do not need to reapply to MSU or re-submit transcripts from previous universities and degrees)
- PhD students from other units who want to apply for a dual major in CSUS should contact the CSUS Graduate Secretary or Graduate Program Coordinator for application guidelines.
- Download the Non-Travel Reimbursement Worksheet