Beginning in Fall 2020, all fellowship funds will be disbursed in lump sums, and will be placed in your student account. No checks or any other kind of fund disbursal will be used.
Impacts of receiving any type of fellowship funds:
- International students: All fellowship funds are taxed at the time of receipt (US Federal rules). It is possible, however, at the end of a year, when you fill out a 1042-S form, you may get some or all of those taxes refunded, depending on your circumstances. All students will receive information to fill in on a 1098 T form.
- Domestic students: All fellowship funds are taxed. You should report all fellowship funds received during the year when you fill out your IRS tax forms. You will be taxed at this time, as relevant to your personal income/tax situation. All students will receive information to fill in on a 1098 T form.
- Domestic students who receive Federal Financial aid: Be aware that receipt of any fellowship funds may impact your financial aid package.
Endowed Fellowships & Scholarships
Current students will receive an email from the Graduate Program Coordinator or Secretary with details about the fellowship/scholarship application requirements in late September. The deadline for the Kerr award application is mid-October (October 15 for 2020) and for all other award applications is approximately December 1 of every year (December 1 for 2020).
- The Malcolm and Ann Kerr Award for Excellence in Scholarship
- The George and Nancy Axinn International Scholarship
- The Milton H. Steinmueller Fellowship in Natural Resources and Environmental Policy
- The Harriette B. Sherman Scholarship in Recreation and Tourism Systems
- The Gilbert W. Mouser Scholarship in Conservation and Environmental Education
- Jon F. Bartholic Ensuring the Future of Michigan’s Natural Resources Fund
Note that all award review committee members are appointed after applications are received so that we can avoid conflict of interest for review committee members and letter of recommendation writers.
Download Applicant Cover Sheet (fillable PDF)
Download Kerr Scholarship Cover Sheet (fillable PDF)
College of Agriculture & Natural Resources Fellowships
Dissertation Completion Fellowships (DCF) are intended for doctoral students planning to finish writing and to defend their dissertations during the semester for which they apply. DCFs are offered for each term (fall, spring, summer), with separate application deadlines for each application cycle. Students may apply for a DCF only after their comprehensive exams have been completed and all their data collected.
Submit your complete application to the CSUS Graduate Office or Secretary, who will forward to the Department Chair. Submit your complete application packet by the relevant deadline date below to give the chairperson time to review all applications and submit a letter to CANR by its deadline. Do not apply unless you and your advisor are confident that you will complete in the semester for which applied.
Remember to COMBINE ALL PAGES of the application prior to having any digital signatures added to the application cover form. Follow all instructions carefully. Incomplete, uncombined, unsigned, or applications with items in the incorrect order will be returned to the applicant.
|DCF Term||Applications due to CSUS Graduate Office||CANR Deadline|
|Fall 2020||Friday, June 19, 2020, 5:00 pm||Tuesday, June 30, 2020|
|Spring 2021||Monday, October 5, 2020, 5:00 pm||Thursday, October 15, 2020|
|Summer 2021||Monday, February 15, 2021, 5:00 pm||Thursday, February 25, 2021|
Download Instructions for Applying for a DCF (AY 2020-2021)
Download Dissertation Completion Fellowship Cover Sheet (fillable PDF)
Graduate Office Fellowships
GOF funds are available during fall and spring semesters.
The Fall 2020 application deadline is 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, September 16, 2020.
Students may receive up to a maximum combined amount of GOF funds of $2,000 across their full degree program. A doctoral student who received a maximum of GOF funds as a CSUS master's student may be considered for an additional $2,000 maximum across the doctoral program.
Read instructions carefully.
Download GOF Fall 2020 Information & Application (fillable PDF)
Download GOF Spring/Summer 2021 Information & Application (fillable PDF)