2021 Drainage Workshop
March 9, 2021 - March 11, 2021
524 S Shaw Ln, East Lansing, MI 48824 Farrall Ag Eng Hall, Room 106
Contact: Ehsan Ghane
March 9-11, 2021
524 S Shaw Ln, East Lansing, MI 48824
Farrall Ag Eng Hall, Room 106
Michigan's 2021 annual Drainage Workshop will be held in East Lansing. This workshop is a collaboration between Michigan State University and Michigan Land Improvements Contractors Association.
1- Who should attend?
This workshop is intended for producers, landowners, drainage contractors, consultants, NRCS Soil conservationist technicians, engineers, MAEAP technicians, agency technicians, technical service providers, MSU Extension Educators, and whoever is interested in learning about drainage concepts and design of subsurface drainage systems to meet both crop production and environmental objectives.
2- Why should you attend Michigan's drainage workshop?
Easy-to-use online tools will be used to maximize return on investment in the drainage system. This tool will help estimate the optimum drain spacing to maximize profit, and thereby avoid too narrow or too wide drain spacing's. Application of this user-friendly tool is what sets this workshop aside from other drainage workshops.
3- What will be taught?
- Basics of soils and water movement in soils
- Drainage principles
- Economics of drainage
- Interpreting contour maps
- Drainage design concepts
- Overview of a user-friendly Drain-Spacing Tool to maximize profit
- Contour drainage
- Estimating system cost
- Legal Considerations of drainage
- Safety and installation tips
- Controlled drainage design
- Controlled drainage impact on water quality and crop yield.
The drainage design process will include basic design considerations and a step-by-step design procedure.
3b- Topics for day 3 will include
- Proper use of the user-friendly Drain-Spacing Tool to maximize annual return on investment.
- Global Mapper software as an aid in design and to view elevation data:
- Hands-on experience downloading DEM data, making contour maps, determining flow pattern, laying out mains, getting main profile, laying out laterals, getting lateral profile, drawing multiple parallel laterals, and exporting plan as a file usable in installation software. This software requires manual design processing including sizing main, but it is cheaper than other drainage design software's that automatically size the main.
- Trimble WM-Subsurface software:
- Hands-on experience designing the drainage system (layout, grade, sizing main). This software is for those who want to quickly and efficiently design systems. This software automatically sizes the main as well as providing other useful features.
- Overview of field installation software.
4- What are the goals of the workshop?
Learn new knowledge. Learn drainage design concepts through hands-on design so you can design on your own and use your design software correctly. Learn about conservation drainage. Learn the basics of using design software.
5- General Notes:
Instructors: MSU faculty members and experienced contractors with Michigan Land Improvement Contractors Association (MLICA).
Event provides: We will provide notepads, ruler, pens, and mechanical pencil for each participant. We will provide a desktop computer for each participant to use during the workshop.
What to bring: Please bring your calculator, if you have one. Otherwise, you can use the Calculator app on Windows 10 of the desktop computer.
Food: We will offer a continental breakfast as well as a lunch buffet (meat and vegetarian).
Parking: There will be free parking in lot 39. Google Map address of the parking lot: 39 Okemos, MI 48864
Accommodation: Participants are responsible for making their own hotel arrangements.
Registration: Early registration ($400 for all 3 days, $250 for days 1 and 2, or $200 for day 3) is available until Monday, Feb. 22, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. Registration price goes up ($600 for all 3 days, $350 for days 1 and 2, $300 for day 3) starting from Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021. Registration deadline is Monday, March 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. This workshop is limited to 30 participants, and on-site registration will be unavailable on the day of the event.
Registration cancellation: Full refund will be provided, if canceled by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 22, 2021. A $50 service fee will be charged to the refund, if canceled between Tuesday, February 23 and 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 1, 2021. No refund will be provided, if canceled on or after March 2, 2021.
Special Request: Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by calling Ehsan Ghane at 517-353-4458 by Monday, Feb. 15, 2021 at 5 p.m. to ensure sufficient time to make arrangements. MSU is an affirmative-action and equal-opportunity employer.For workshop agenda with list of speakers, click on the Tentative Workshop Agenda link below.