2024 Great Lakes Day: Celebrating Science and Water
February 27, 2024 9:00AM - 3:00PM
Registration Deadline: February 27, 2024 - 12:00AM
Celebrating Science and Water
Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2024
9 a.m. - 3 p.m. ET
Please join us for the 34th annual Great Lakes Day conference: Celebrating Science and Water. This conference will feature presentations on emerging issues such as PFAS and Coastal Resiliency in the Great Lakes; and share research about the fascinating species we find in our Great Lakes -- and the challenges marine debris brings.
This event is free, but registration is required. A link to the event will be sent after registration.
Great Lakes Day is sponsored by Michigan Sea Grant, Michigan State University Institute of Water Research, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, and MSU Extension as part of ANR Week at Michigan State University.
Great Lakes Day Conference Agenda
Morning sessions Emerging issues
- 9-9:25 am Are you Great Lakes Literate?
- Angela Scapini and Brandon Schroeder, Michigan Sea Grant
- 9:30-9:55 am Status of PFAS in the Great Lakes
- Carolyn Foley, Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant
- 10-10:25 am The Michigan Coastal Management Program’s Pathway to Resilience
- Adam Arend, Coastal Community Development Coordinator, Michigan Coastal Management Program, EGLE
10:30-11 am Break
11-noon Keynote speaker
"Intergenerational Environmental Respect, Care, and Stewardship: Collaborative Future-making in Neshnabé Ki (the Great Lakes Region)"
Dr. Elan Pochedley is the 1855 Professor of Great Lakes Anishinaabe Knowledge, Spiritualities, and Cultural Practices in the Department of Religious Studies at Michigan State University.
Noon-1 pm: Lunch break
Afternoon sessions Great Lakes This and That
- 1-1:25 pm A Conservation Partnership in the Keweenaw Heartlands
- Dr. Tyler Bassett, Michigan Natural Features Inventory
- 1:30-1:55 pm Vegetation and marsh bird relationships with invasive Phragmites australis occurrence and management in Saginaw Bay
- Dr. Rachel Hackett, Michigan Natural Features Inventory
- 2-2:25 pm Marine Debris and the Great Lakes
- Jill Bartolotta, Ohio Sea Grant
Looking to the future
- 2:30-3 pm What can YOU do? Practical ideas to help and communicate about our Great Lakes
- Brandon Schroeder and Cindy Hudson, Michigan Sea Grant
- Adjourn - Go forth and share the Great Lakes love!