4-H Capitol Experience
March 15, 2020 - March 18, 2020
Contact: Jackelyn Martin
March 15-18, 2020
The program will be held in Okemos and Downtown Lansing
4-H Capitol Experience is an annual 4-day conference that focuses on civic engagement and public policy. Up to 100 teens from around the state converge in Lansing, Michigan to experience state government in action and learn how they can influence policy issues. Participants interact with legislators, state agency staff, lobbyists and other resource people to learn how policy is made. They will also learn about public access to information, campaign financing, ethics/conflicts of interest, government accountability to the public and lobbying disclosure.
- Understand the responsibilities of a citizen
- Explore different aspects of a policy issue that may affect individuals and communities
- Explore various careers in public policy
- Attend a bill writing session
- Have an in-depth meeting with someone in (or involved with) state government simulations and activities are incorporated to reinforce and apply what is learned about government.
Teens leave the conference with the charge to share what they have learned and get involved with other leadership and civic engagement activities in their communities!
Cost: $360 for 4-H members and $380 for non-members
All payments must be made in full by Feb. 10, 2020. If full payment is not received by this time, your registration will be cancelled and your spot offered to a registrant on the wait list.
Cancellations received between Feb. 1 and 17, 2020 will incur a $30 cancellation fee. Registration fees are non-refundable if cancellations are received after Feb. 17, 2020.