4-H Capitol Experience
March 20, 2022 - March 23, 2022
Okemos and downtown Lansing
Contact: For more information contact Jackelyn Martin, Extension Educator at email@example.com or 734-222-3877.
The program will be held in Okemos and Downtown Lansing
4-H Capitol Experience is an annual 4-day conference that focuses on civic engagement and public policy. Up to 100 teens from around the state converge on Lansing, Michigan to experience state government in action and learn how they can influence policy issues. Participants interact with legislators, state agency staff, lobbyists and other resource people to learn how policy is made. They will also learn about public access to information, campaign financing, ethics/conflicts of interest, government accountability to the public and lobbying disclosure.
- Understand the responsibilities of a citizen
- Explore different aspects of a policy issue that may affect individuals and communities
- Explore various careers in public policy
- Attend a bill writing session
- Have an in-depth meeting with someone in (or involved with) state government simulations and activities are incorporated to reinforce and apply what is learned about government.
Teens leave the conference with the charge to share what they have learned and get involved with other leadership and civic engagement activities in their communities!