Bailey Scholars Spring 2021 Events
January 19, 2021 - May 1, 2021
Contact: Dacia Munteanu
Join us for the following events:
- January: Social Justice Children's Book Recordings - https://serve.msu.edu/volunteers.cfm?service=2217
Celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day with us by recording yourself reading a children’s book focused on social justice topics or that feature characters representing diverse backgrounds. It is highly recommended you use a book that you already have or can find online. If you do not have access to a book or cannot find a copy of one online, we have a limited number of scanned books online in a Google Drive for you.
If you would rather recommend a longer book for students in middle or high school focused on these same topics, you can record a book recommendation/book review video.
Access to the Drive will be open from January 18th - January 20th.
Registration: Volunteer registration opens on 1/6/21 at 12:00am and closes on 1/20/21 at 12:00am
Go to: https://serve.msu.edu/volunteers.cfm?service=2217 to register, if all spots are full there is another section you can register at.
- January 20 - February 14: Sending Valentines to Nursing Facilities, TBA
Let us spread the love and send Valentines to the residents and staff of local assistant living homes. Look out with an email with more information.
- January 25: Community Lunch w/Games - Zoom, 12:30PM EST
- February: Sending baked goods to active military, TBA
This service event is for an organization called Team Angel. The goal of this organization is to send appreciation to those who are stationed overseas by sending them baked goods and cards. If you are interested in doing this, email Madi Pellman for more details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- February 8: Movie Night - Zoom, 6:00PM EST
- February 22: Community Lunch/Cultural Caucus - Zoom, 12:30PM EST
- March: "Be My Eyes" App Service Month, TBA
Be My Eyes, created by Hans Jorgen Wiberg in 2015, pairs volunteers with blind or visually impaired people in need of help with small, everyday tasks. These can range from reading an expiration date on a carton of milk to describing the color of a shirt.
- March 8: Trivia Night (with Prizes!) - Zoom, 6:00PM EST
- March 10: Women's History Guest Speaker - Zoom, TBA
- March 29: Community Lunch - Zoom, 12:30PM EST
- April: Smithsonian Trisribathon Service Event, TBA
Learn how to Transcribe and make historical documents and biodiversity data more accessible or browser the site to learn about other projects they need help in
Go to: https://transcription.si.edu/
- April 6: Core Course Share Night - Zoom, 6:30PM EST
- April 9: Yoga - Zoom, TBA
- April 19: Community Lunch - Zoom, 12:30PM EST
- April 25: Yoga, TBA
- May 1: BSP Semester Celebration - Zoom, 10:00AM EST