Coming Together for Racial Understanding
February 9, 2021 - February 17, 2021
Contact: For information please contact Lizz Duran at firstname.lastname@example.org or 586-846-1249.
As part of a national Extension initiative entitled Coming Together for Racial Understanding, Michigan State University Extension is committed to engaging staff and communities in dialogues about race and racism. This is a modified, online offering that is intended to give a “taste” of a larger dialogue process using the Facing Racism in a Diverse Nation curriculum from Everyday Democracy, a partner in this initiative. The Coming Together for Racial Understanding Program will focus on supporting the development of skills and competencies of CARE staff, our community partner, to engage in dialogues about race and racism and to consider how these dialogues can add value and inform their internal and external work. Objectives for the training include the following:
- Engage in a process and content focused on race and racism that can be used in community base programming
- Develop relationships across and within race with other participants
- Learn how to navigate complex dialogues related to power, privilege and differences
- Develop a familiarity with the Facing Racism in a Diverse Nation issue book that will serve as a guide for community based dialogues
- Provide an opportunity to consider “next steps” in addressing issues of race and racism in your work, internally and externally
"We hope that Facing Racism in a Diverse Nation will help you create a democratic process where everyone feels welcome and every voice is heard. But the guide is only a place to start. It is when you bring all kinds of people to the table to take part in the dialogue that you will bring the process to life". Carolyne Miller Abdullah and Susan McCormack
Today, problems of racism are emerging in new and complex ways. A growing number of people recognize that racism and its effects are embedded in our institutions, our practices, and our culture, preventing all of us from having the kind of country and communities we dream of. As we continue to talk about the importance of democracy around the world, issues of race, here at home, present an opportunity to work on our own democracy.
Program Dates (must attend all)
- Feb. 9, 2021 - 9-11:30 a.m. EST
- Feb.11, 2021 - 9-11:30 a.m. EST
- Feb. 15, 2021 - 9-11:30 a.m. EST
- Feb. 17, 2021 - 9-11:30 a.m. EST