Cover Crops & Forages Field Day
September 24, 2019 10:00AM - 3:00PM
Farm Fields of Rich D'Arcy and Ryan Shaw near M-53 / M-46 (2 Miles North of M-46/M-53 intersection and 1/4 Mile West on Upper Rd.)
Contact: Philip Kaatz
There is no charge for this program
Lunch, refreshements and portable restrooms available for all participants
Pre-registration is required!
The Field Day will feature:
- Demonstration plot following wheat, planted to 36 individual cover crops and 6 cover crop mixes
- Interseeded cover crop mixes into corn (control, winter-kill mix, winter-hardey mix) planted at the V5 growth stage. Dr. Karen Renner discusses the research trial scope and possible outcomes.
- Is there potential for cover crops to decrease soybean cyst nematode? Dr. George Bird discusses this cover crop demonstration.
- Rainfall simulator to demonstrate soil health concepts - featuring the MSU Extension Cover Crops Team
- Cover crop education by MSU specialists on species, soybean cyst control, plus education on the termination of interseeded cover crops
- Interseeding equipment demonstration
- Forage Education by Dr. Kim Cassida, MSU Forage Agronomist on the use of cover crops as emergency feed or an annual forage for livestock.
A tent will be available in case of inclement weather.
To insure lunch: Please Pre-Register!!