Cover Crops Virtual Field Day
September 2, 2020 9:00AM - 10:30AM
Contact: Dean Baas
The virtual cover crop field day will discuss the why and how of inter-seeding cover crops into standing corn. All field crop producers, agribusiness professionals, government agency personnel and others interested in field crops production and management are encouraged to participate in this virtual field day. Benefits, challenges, planting, yield, and herbicide interactions will be discussed in a regional manner, considering research in Southwest Michigan, Central Michigan, the thumb, Northwest Michigan, and the UP.
9 a.m. Introduction
9:10 a.m. Inter-seeding cover crops in corn across the state
10 a.m. Break
10:10 a.m. Roundtable discussions
Roundtables will be held on the various topics:
- Soil Health: Dr. Sieglinde Snapp, Professor of Soils and Cropping Systems Ecology and Associate Director of the Center for Global Change and Earth Observations, will lead a discussion on how cover crops can enhance soil health. Hosted by MSU Extension Educator, Christina Currell.
- Nutrient Management: How to manage cover crops as a part of an overall nutrient management system. Hosted by MSU Extension Educator, Ricardo Costa Silva.
- Erosion Management: Let’s get snirty (that’s dirty snow)! In this roundtable, Specialist, Dr. Tim Harrigan, will be available to answer your questions about using cover crops to manage different erosion types from sheet to rill to wind. Come with your questions to be answered. Hosted by MSU Extension Educator, Sarah Fronczak.
- Timing: Fitting cover crops in can be difficult! This roundtable with Specialist, Dr. Karen Renner, will discuss innovative ways to fit cover crops into your rotation. Hosted by MSU Extension Educator, Monica Jean.
- Weed management: Dr. Christy Sprague, MSU Extension Weed Specialist, will discuss the latest research and recommendations to assist in controlling weeds by integrating cover crops into your crop rotations. Specific topics will include why species matter, considering when to plant and what factors can affect cover crop establishment, and termination of cover crops with weed management in mind. Hosted by MSU Extension Educator, Paul Gross.
- Organic Systems: We invite you to share your farming experiences in a transition or organic system to manage your soils and use of various soil health amendments, including cover crops. We recognize organic systems require extra attention to management of inputs. Specialists: Vicki Morrone, Zach Hayden and Dan Brainard will be available to discuss and share experiences and knowledge.
- Forage and Grazing: This roundtable with Forage and Cover Crop Specialist, Kim Cassida, will answer your questions about ways to add value to your cover crops by harvesting or grazing forage. Come with your questions to be answered. Hosted by Forage Educator, Phil Kaatz.