Grazing School 2019 - CANCELLED
August 15, 2019 - August 16, 2019 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Contact: Kable Thurlow
This event has been cancelled.
MSU is Offering Grazing School at Two Locations
Michigan State University Extension is offering grazing school for dairy, livestock and small ruminant producers at two locations in Michigan simultaneously via high speed video conferencing in August. There will be a team of experts at each location that will broadcast their expertise to the different sites with technology that allows for interactive chat from participants with those experts. This technology allows for additional expertise to be shared and expanded networking of producers through various online and face-to-face discussions.
Grazing school will be held on August 15 & 16, 2019 and will begin at 8 a.m. on Thursday and conclude at 4 p.m. on Friday
The two-day school will be offered at the following locations:
- The MSU W.K. Kellogg Biological Station Farm and Dairy Meeting Room in Hickory Corners, Michigan.
Address: 10461 N. 40th St., Hickory Corners, MI 49060
- The MSU Lake City Research Center in Lake City, Michigan
Address: 5401 W. Jennings Rd., Lake City, MI 49551
Participants only need to attend the closest location to participate in the full school and gain the expertise of speakers around the state of MI.
The goal of the school is to blend classroom instruction with in-field education and the latest animal/forage research to give participants an in-depth introduction to grazing management.
Feature presentations will cover approaches to:
- Introduction to managed grazing
- Pasture management and decision making
- Livestock nutrition and requirements on pasture
- Forage yield determination and pasture allocation
- Grass and legume species identification
- Pasture soil fertility and management
- Grazing systems, layout and design
- Water systems and requirements
- Building and using fence for grazing
- Pasture establishment and improvement
Experts Participating In-Person at KBS:
- Richard Ehrhardt Ph.D., MSU Small Ruminant Specialist
- Kevin Gould, Beef Educator, MSU Extension
- Dean Baas, Cover Crops Educator, MSU Extension
- Phil Kaatz, Forage Educator, MSU Extension
- Brook Willke, Ph.D., Kellogg Farm Manager, W.K. Kellogg Biological Station, Farm
- Howard Straub III, Dairy Manager, W.K. Kellogg Biological Station, Pasture Dairy Center
Experts Participating In-Person at Lake City:
- Kim Cassida, Ph.D., MSU Forage Specialist
- Kable Thurlow, Beef Educator, MSU Extension
- Ty Hughston, Farm Manager, Lake City Research Center
- Dr. Jason Rowntree, Forages and Gazing Specialist
Registration is $125 for one participant; $220 for two participants from the same farm, and $315 for three participants from the same farm. Starting August. 9, fees are as follows: $150 for one participant, $270 for two participants from the same farm, and $390 for three participants from the same farm. The onsite registration is $175 for one participant; $320 for two participants; $465 for three participants from the same farm. The workshop fee includes Grazing sticks, Midwest Cover Crops Field Guide, Forage Field Guide, USB with all program materials and worksheets, and all meals including a Networking Dinner Thursday, August 15, along with lunch and snacks Thursday and Friday. No refunds if canceling two days or less prior to the program start date.