Irrigation Webinar Series - August 4
August 4, 2021 12:00PM - 1:00PM 12-1 p.m.
Registration Deadline: August 4, 2021 - 12:00PM
Held Virtually Via Zoom
July 7, 21; August 4, 18; September 1, 15
Held virtually via zoom
No cost to attend, but pre-registration is requested
Let's Talk Irrigation!
This six session series focuses on irrigation topics such as irrigation management, irrigation efficiency, new and expanding irrigation projects and a weather and crop update.
Topics that will be covered each week:
- Past and forecasted crop water usage compared to rainfall for the last week and next week. (5 minutes)
- Ways to improve irrigation management and efficiency – Irrigation Specialist from MSU and Purdue (15 minutes)
- New and expanding irrigation considerations – Lyndon Kelley, MSU/Purdue Extension Irrigation Educator (15 minutes)
- Updates on irrigation topics related to field crops, vegetable, fruit and ornamental crops by MSU and Purdue specialists and extension educators (15 minutes)
- Open Irrigation question and answer period (from chat or pre-submitted e-mail questions). Please feel free to email irrigation related questions to Betsy Braid at firstname.lastname@example.org before the programs.
Sessions will be held every other week on Wednesdays at Noon. They will begin on July 7 and conclude on September 15.
Draft Topic Agenda
- Monitoring leaf wetness duration to predict disease infection period– Dr. Younsuk Dong , MSU BAE Irrigation Specialist
- Irrigation water supply: how much water do I need? – Lyndon Kelley, MSU/Purdue Extension Irrigation Educator
- Irrigation of blueberries and other small fruit - Mark Longstroth, MSU Fruit Educator Emeritus
- Irrigation management and efficiency – Dr. Younsuk Dong , MSU BAE-Irrigation Specialist
- Irrigating fresh market vegetables for top quality – Dr. Ron Goldy, MSU Vegetable Educator Emeritus
- Irrigating tree fruit - Nikki Rothwell, MSU Tree Fruit Educator, Northwest Horticulture Experiment Station
- Irrigation for Ornamental Horticulture – Dr. Tom Fernandez (not yet confirmed)
- Timing the last irrigation– Dr. Younsuk Dong , MSU BAE Irrigation Specialist
- Timing and designing your project for minimized cost – Lyndon Kelley, MSU/Purdue Extension Irrigation Educator
- Considering growing cereals under irrigation: opportunity to provide change in rotation, produce second crop soybeans or snaps, annual forage and better manage fertility and weeds - Dennis Pennington, MSU Wheat Production Specialist
- Maximizing irrigation energy efficiency: how much energy did I use compared to the average? - Dr. Younsuk Dong, MSU BAE Irrigation Specialist
- Water use registration and reporting – Lyndon Kelley, MSU/Purdue Extension Irrigation Educator.
- Michigan site specific review options and the alternatives for registration - Andy Lebaron, MI- EGLE
RUP credits will be available for these sessions.