Michigan Sea Grant Extension Fellows Program 2019
November 25, 2019 - November 25, 2020
Contact: Dr. Heather Triezenberg, email@example.com, 517-353-5508
The Michigan Sea Grant MSU Extension Fellows Program is designed for Michigan State University graduate students interested in engaged scholarship for research and extension engagement within the Great Lakes Region.
The program will enable graduate students interested in community-engaged scholarship and outreach and engagement relating to global freshwater fisheries; fisheries and food security; water quality, supply, and human health; Great Lakes commerce and transportation; or telecoupled systems to develop skills for helping decision-makers and other stakeholders to clarify actions or policy options, serving as honest brokers of policy alternatives, on issues important to the sustainability of the Great Lakes Region.
Michigan Sea Grant-MSU Extension, MSU Graduate School and University Outreach and Engagement sponsor this program.
The length of the assignment is for one year, starting fall semester 2019.
- Interested students must represent a focus on global freshwater fisheries; fisheries and food security; water quality, supply, and human health; Great Lakes commerce and transportation; or telecoupled systems related to the mission of the Michigan Sea Grant Extension Program.
- Students must complete the seminar for MSU Graduate Certification in Community Engagement prior to or during the Fellow year.
- Students must receive a recommendation from their graduate advisor.
Interested students should submit application form online. Also, a single pdf must be uploaded that includes:
- Short curriculum vitae (not to exceed 2 pages).
- Personal statement (not to exceed 1 page) with emphasis on what the prospective fellow expects to gain from the experience for enhancing integration of research and Extension, as well as professional development and what the fellow may be able to contribute to all participants’ learning in the program.
Application Deadline: March 29, 2019
Selections will be made and applicants notified by end of April 2019.
- Recruitment Fellows for Extension Engagement (master’s or doctoral students) – hourly pay or equivalent stipend up to $500 total.
- Once selected, Fellows may be eligible to apply for limited project or portfolio support (e.g., travel, creative works, materials production, etc.).
Students selected for this Fellows Program will be participants in periodic group and professional meetings to help establish a network of community-engaged graduate students and professionals interested in engaged research and extension.