MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center Virtual Interactive Classroom Series
September 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020
Contact: For more information contact Ellen Koehler, Tollgate Education Coordinator at 248-701-9956 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learning Fresh From the Farm
A virtual classroom series with MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center is designed for students to explore natural resources and agriculture while learning about sustainability and the environment. Aligned with literacy, math, and Next Generation Science standards, programs utilize inquiry place-based learning. Life cycles and system interdependency are revealed as students virtually visit the fields, forest, greenhouse, and farm animals to investigate science phenomena taking place on the farm. Virtual series with Tollgate Farm are scheduled September through early June and cost $250 for five weekly visits for up to 50 students. For questions or to tailor a program to meet your teaching goals, please email Ellen Koehler at email@example.com.
Some of the exciting aspects of virtual learning journeys on the farm:
- Investigate science phenomena happening on the farm.
- Connect to place and integrate with community-based service learning projects.
- Connect to MSU education staff and MSU Extension educators.
- Explore how plants and animals prepare for the coming season.
- Visit the animals virtually and learn about their role on the farm.
- Spend time in the classroom doing investigations related to our visit.
- Explore life cycles and how plants and animals use their internal and external systems to survive.
Virtual visits from MSU Tollgate Education Center education staff provide experiential learning all year long. Weekly or week-long virtual learning series offered this fall:
- Follow the Nutrient Cycle (Fall/Spring) (Grades 3-5) (Thursdays, October 8 - November 5, 1 p.m. EST)
- The Secret Life of Trees (Fall) (Grades K-2) (Mondays, October 5 - November 2, 10 a.m. EST)
Program availability is on a first come, first served basis. Schools should register early to secure their spot. Intensive week-long series may be available on request if dates are available. Large virtual farm visits available for schools on request.
For information regarding our financial aid process, see our website.