Powerful Tools for Caregivers MSU Extension & AAANWMi Fully Online
November 3, 2020 - December 8, 2020
Contact: For more information, contact Pam Daniels at email@example.com or 231-592-0792.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers is an evidence-based program designed to equip caregivers with a range of self-care tools to help them reduce personal stress and communicate effectively with family members and healthcare providers. This is a program to help the caregiver take care of themselves.
This 6-week program will help you take care of yourself while caring for a relative or friend (no professional caregivers, please). You will benefit from the workshop whether you are helping a parent, spouse, friend or someone who lives at home, in a nursing home, or across the country. Please note that this workshop will not focus on specific diseases or hands-on care giving for the care receiver.
This workshop will give YOU, the family caregiver, tools to:
- Help you reduce stress
- Communicate effectively with other family members, your doctor, paid help
- Take care of yourself
- Reduce guilt, anger, and depression
- Help you relax
- Make tough decisions
- Set goals and problem-solve
The workshop covers the following topics:
- Hiring in-home help
- Understanding depression
- Helping memory-impaired elders
- Making decisions about driving
- Making legal and financial decisions
1. Due to some of the sensitive discussions, and to allow yourself the opportunity to talk freely, you may wish to separate yourself from your care-receiver during class time.
2. Staff will contact you by email, 1 week prior to the class start date for a brief orientation to zoom.