Preserving Your Harvest Online Classes-Too Many Tomatoes
September 3, 2020 1:00PM - 7:30PM
Make the most of your produce - Join us to learn new ways to use the rest of your garden and farm market produce. Let us help you fill your pantry and freezer by preserving food safely. Join us using Zoom for each session or choose the topics that you are interested in. Classes will be offered at 1-2:30 p.m. and 6-7:30 p.m. EDT each day listed.
This workshop will be taught by an experienced MSU Extension Food Safety Educators.
Classes will be available on the following dates:
- August 13, 2020 - Safe Home Food Preservation-Traditions and Trends
- MSU Extension Food Safety Team members will weigh in on current trends as well as discussing traditional methods, what is safe and what practices should be avoided, sharing the research-based science that supports it.
- August 20, 2020 - Preserving what's left in your Garden
- What's left in the garden? Tired of canning? Let's try blanching and freezing. We'll also discuss taking care of herbs and making pesto.
- August 27, 2020 - Peaches - Can or Freeze?
- Discover how easy it is to can or freeze peaches and how to control the sugar in the syrup it's preserved in.
- September 3, 2020 - Too Many Tomatoes
- Learn several ways to use up those delicious tomatoes from the garden, including canning and freezing them as well as learning the importance of acidification.
- September 10, 2020 - Salsa 101
- Explore the Rules of Salsa and understand the importance of following research-tested recipes for safe salsa to enjoy all winter long
- September 17, 2020 - Know your Canners
- Review of your water bath, steam and pressure canners and processing methods.
- September 24, 2020 - Basics of Sauerkraut
- Making batches of sauerkraut is a tradition for many families. Join us to learn proper techniques to prepare cabbage, ferment, and process this delicious product.
- October 8, 2020 - Preparing Soups for Winter
- Do you have some leftover veggies in the garden? Then this program is for you! We'll discuss how to prepare and process soups for Winter using the pressure canner.
- October 15, 2020 - Making Applesauce
- Looking for an easy way to use your abundance of apples? Let's explore the options of canning or freezing applesauce this harvest season.
- October 22, 2020 - Preserving Food for Gifts
- Don't put your water bath or steam canner away yet! There are several high acid items you can make for gifts. Join us for this session to learn what can be made for gifts to give in the coming weeks.
- October 29, 2020 - Preserving Venison
- Preserving venison must be done using a pressure canner. Discover how to preserve and learn where to find research-based recipes you can use to safely preserve venison. We'll also discuss freezing and dehydrating.
Related Topic Areas
Business, Natural Resources, Keweenaw County, Houghton County, Ontonagon County, Baraga County, Gogebic County, Iron County, Dickinson County, Menominee County, Delta County, Marquette County, Alger County, Schoolcraft County, Luce County, Chippewa County, Mackinac County, Emmet County, Cheboygan County, Presque Isle County