"Sunlight into Wine" June Meeting
June 14, 2019 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center, 6686 S Center Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
Attention Michigan grape producers and members of Parallel 45 Vines and Wines, Inc. or Straights Area Grape Growers Association. Do you want to improve and sustain the Northwest and Northern Michigan vineyard and winery industries? Do you want to learn how to become a superhero level viticulturist? Or just learn some classic and new techniques in Canopy Management and Grapevine Trunk Disease Identification and Control? If you answered yes to any of those questions, we have just the event for you.
Join Thomas Todaro, viticulture educator at Michigan State University Extension, and the world renowned viticulturist Richard Smart, author of the seminal grapevine canopy management publication, “Sunlight into Wine,” for an educational event in Leelanau County on Friday, June 14, 2019. Attendees will learn about:
- Principles of canopy management for optimum fruit quality.
- Roles of various trellis and training systems.
- Critical role of timely shoot positioning.
Grapevine trunk diseases
- Types of grapevine trunk diseases in the Midwest.
- Symptoms of trunk diseases.
- Management procedures to avoid trunk disease.
- Trunk renewal in winter and spring.
- Wound protection, double pruning and removing pruned materials.
Sunlight into Wine meeting agenda
- 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. – Educational seminars at the Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center, 6686 S Center Hwy, Traverse City, MI 49684
- 12 to 1 p.m. – Lunch
- 1 to 3:30 p.m. – In-field demonstrations at Shady Lane Cellars, 9580 E Shady Ln, Suttons Bay, MI 49682
- 3:30 to 5 p.m. – Wine tasting at Shady Lane Cellars, 9580 E Shady Ln, Suttons Bay, MI 49682
This event won’t be much fun without you! Register here for an exciting day dedicated to turning “Sunlight into Wine.”Get Directions