Upper Peninsula 4-H Livestock Series
January 26, 2021 - March 2, 2021
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Upper Peninsula youth, ages 12 to 19, who want to improve their knowledge and skills in beef, sheep, and/or swine projects and teen leaders interested in furthering the success of local and county livestock programs. This series is designed to benefit persons already experienced in the program, as well as, those who are just getting started in these programs. Participants are expected to take the information that they have gained from this series and share it with others in their local county and club programs.
- Learn and expand skills in areas of practical livestock production and management specific to beef, sheep, and swine
- Access resources available to them in the areas of animal and vet science for reference into the future
- Gain information to prepare for participation in the U.P. Livestock Skill-A-Thon on March 6 (optional)
- Have opportunities to share their own tips and tricks as well as learn from others how they have raised their livestock in the U.P
- January 26: Selecting Your Animal
- February 2: Swine
- February 9: Animal Care & Well-Being
- February 16: Beef
- February 23: Feed & Nutrition
- March 2: Sheep
Topics will include animal health and welfare, species specific animal science, and livestock skillathon type questions through Kahoot!
Additional session will be scheduled through spring focusing on tips and tricks for completing your U.P. State Fair Market Livestock Record Book, marketing your livestock project, and showmanship techniques.
Participants will need to re-enroll in 4-H online, select Gogebic county and U.P. Livestock series as an additional club.
Related Topic Areas
Animal Science (B.S.), 4-H, 4-H Animal & Veterinary Science Camp, 4-H Animal Science, 4-H Animal Evaluation, 4-H Beef Production & Management, 4-H Sheep Production & Management, 4-H Swine Production & Management, 4-H Veterinary Science, 4-H SPIN Clubs