Extension Teaching Award
MSU Extension Teachers
The MSU Extension Excellence in Teaching Award recognizes an individual who has demonstrated a commitment to quality scholarship of teaching as evidenced by their contributions to Extension teaching and learning and demonstrated success in these areas.
Ideal candidates for the MSU Extension Excellence in Teaching Award will have/provide:
- Six (6) or more years teaching experience in your role at MSU Extension
- Evidence of dedication to instruction through experimentation and implementation of innovative techniques that contribute to the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Evidence of excellence in instruction as demonstrated by impact on participants/learners.
- Content and materials are current, unbiased and research based.
- Content and materials reflect MSU Extension values of inclusivity and diversity.
Individuals nominated for this award must be MSU Extension faculty, academic specialists or instructors. Faculty and staff are encouraged to submit nominations, and self-nominations are accepted.
In its review and examination of application packages, the review committee is seeking to identify candidates that go above and beyond the call for duty within their MSU Extension role. Being an excellent teacher is necessary, but not sufficient for winning the award. The prospective winner of the award will be the one that clearly demonstrates scholarship in teaching with respect for the subject matter they are teaching, respect for students/participants and colleagues, and respect for pedagogy itself.
To verify that a nominee meets the spirit of the award, we look for:
- Demonstrable evidence of dedication to instruction through experimentation and successful implementation of innovative techniques and contribution to the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Evidence of excellence in instruction as demonstrated by the impact on outcomes and evaluation data from participants.
Award recipients will be recognized each Spring. MSU Extension award recipients may only receive the award once.
The nomination form is advertised in the fall. We encourage all members of the community, whatever your role-faculty, staff, student, alumni-to join in recognizing exceptional instruction here at the College and around the State through MSU Extension.
Application Package Completion Process
Following nomination, the CANR Awards Team will verify the nominees’ eligibility for consideration. If they meet eligibility criteria, we will notify the nominee and invite them to complete an application package electronically. The nominee will receive a personal link (that can only be used by the nominee) to complete an application package electronically.
As part of the electronic application process, nominees will provide the names and email addresses of contacts they wish to submit letters of recommendation on their behalf. The CANR Awards Team will request the letters and receive them directly following completion.
Required application materials include:
- MSU Extension Excellence in Teaching Award Checklist
- Teaching Philosophy Statement. No more than three (3) single-spaced pages
Completed documents will be submitted electronically by nominees.
Please contact the CANR Awards Team at ANR.TeachingAwards@msu.edu with questions.