Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


How do I start my application online?

Click here to start a new online application. Select Graduate Certificate from the dropdown menu and apply as either a domestic or international applicant. Be sure to select the Graduate Certificate in Forest Carbon Science, Policy, and Management when prompted.


Minimum Language Requirements 

Do I have to submit a TOEFL?

All international applicants must meet language requirements by passing and submitting a TOEFL. If you are from an English-speaking country or you have extensive experience with English, we may be able to arrange a waiver for the TOEFL. 

Please contact us at if you believe you qualify for a waiver. 

Can I use IELTS scores instead of TOEFL?

Yes. Please review the Minimum Language Requirements at the bottom of this webpage for more information. 

Send us an email at if you believe you have strong enough English language skills to have this requirement waived. 


Program Timeline 

Can I skip a semester?

Yes, you can take a break from courses for a full semester. However, if you do not begin the Certificate within a year of your acceptance, you will need to re-apply. 

What is the estimate time per week required to complete a course?

We estimate that participants should dedicate 4-6 hours per week per course. Participants should expect a substantial course load as these are typical graduate-level courses. 

Can I take only one course?

Individuals are welcome to take any course of interest at any time. However, all three courses must be completed to earn a Graduate Certificate.