Discover Traverse City.
Traverse City is located in Northern Michigan within Grand Traverse County and Leelanau County. The city is nicknamed the Cherry Capital because they produce the largest amount of tart cherry's in the United States. Whether you visit the popular Sleeping Bear Dunes or taste wine, beer, and the local food it's Traverse City's beauty throughout all seasons that keeps people coming back. TripAdvisor has previously named Traverse City the number two small town travel destination in the United States.
Summer is "beach season" in Traverse City – when you can see why they call this place the Caribbean of the North! Discover why National Geographic named Traverse City one of its Top 10 Summer Trips, why Fodor's Travel listed it among America's 10 Best Small Towns and why Travel + Leisure called it one of America's Most Romantic Towns!
With over 150 inland lakes and hundreds of miles of Lake Michigan shoreline – including the majestic Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore – Traverse City offers visitors limitless opportunities for water-related activities. There are miles of hiking and cycling trails, blue-ribbon trout streams, and more than 20 golf courses with inspiring views and striking configurations.
We invite you to tour some of the many attractions that make our state unique! Come and stay a spell and enjoy Michigan!
Top 5 Activities it Do in Traverse City
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore: 400 feet above the vibrant Lake Michigan baby blues.
- Wine Tasting: 40 different wineries, vineyards and tasting rooms. Ranging in crisp whites to complex reds.
- Microbreweries: Each brewery and taproom bringing their own quirk to the pub table, whether empire hops, asparagus, whiskey, farm-raised pork, apples or a whole cherry pie.
- Dining: Bon Appetit named Traverse City one of America’s five top foodie towns in 2010. Check out some restaurants. below.
- Outdoor Recreation: hike, bike, fish, golf, swim, sail or just wander down the trail there are plenty of outdoor activities.
Looking for an outdoor activity?
The outdoor activities in and around Traverse City are endless. If you'd like to get outdoors and enjoy Northern Michigan's playground, here are a few ideas:
- Climb the Sleeping Bear Dunes
- Paddle or Pedal Your Way to the Breweries
- Visit the Beach
- Enjoy a meal from a local Food Truck
- Board a Tall Ship
- Explore Downtown Traverse City
- Go Wine Tasting
- Play a Round of Golf
Too hot outside and want to stay inside?
- Visit one of the many Historical Sites: lighthouses, Grand Traverse Commons
- Art Galleries: The Traverse City area is rich with art galleries, and each one offers a selection of work from local, regional and national artists whose media include paintings, sculpture, glassware, photography, fabric and folk art.
- Museums: Dennos Museum, Music House Museum, Eyaawing Museum and Cultural Center
- Shopping: Downtown Traverse City, The Village at Grand Traverse Commons
Hungry? Check out one of these Traverse City Restaurants
- Sleder's Family Tavern
- 45th Parallel Café & Candy World
- Aerie at Grand Traverse Resort and Spa
- Bad Dog Deli
- Bay Bread Company
Sleeping Bear Dunes
The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is a breathtaking symphony of water, sky and towering sand dunes on our Lake Michigan shoreline. Part of the national park system since 1970, Sleeping Bear is one of America's most profoundly beautiful landscapes: a 64-mile curve of sweeping vistas, miles of perfect freshwater beaches, forested wilderness islands, miles of hiking trails and the paved Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail, is a multi-use pathway that will run for 27 miles from the northern end of the park to a point just south of Empire.