What is Food SPICE?
Food SPICE (Food Systems Partners Investing in Communities and Entrepreneurs) is a group of food systems stakeholders working together to strengthen the viability, resilience, and equity of Michigan regional food economies. The program connects food businesses and other food systems partners to work together to grow equitable local economies across Michigan, with a special focus in Southwest Michigan and the Upper Peninsula.
- Increases local food and farm business sales and customers
- Supports Black, Indigenous, and entrepreneurs of color to start small food businesses
- Builds food system capacity and collaboration
- Expands local food purchasing by 20% from food retailers, institutions, and distributors
Business support through Food SPICE
We offer food and farm business owners a number of opportunities for sector specific business support including marketing services, accounting services, consulting for kitchen incubator consumer packaged goods makers, plus product testing and food safety education. Food SPICE can provide the technical assistance you need to help your food or farm business to start, grow and succeed!
Business support possibilities:
- Accounting and Finance support
- Nutrition Facts labels
- Process Authority Review
- Pre-lending counseling
- Commercial kitchen connection
- Business planning
- Marketing and website design
Food SPICE builds collaborations
Food SPICE increases the readiness of entrepreneurs for commercial production, lending, and business growth. By partnering with Food SPICE, you are supporting and growing a stronger base of entrepreneurs ready to make transformative food system changes.
We can collaborate with:
- Collective programming
- Shared resources
- Networking events