Hybrid Online MS Requirements
1. Complete FOR 810, an intensive, off-campus, in-person field course offered in August of each year. This course will run for 9 days in length, will require travel to Michigan and will involve extensive field work and dormitory style housing.
*FOR 810 Professional Forestry Field Techniques 2
2. Complete all of the following asynchronous online courses (22 credits):
*FOR 812 Forest Measurements and Inventory 2
*FOR 814 Tree Biology 2
*FOR 816 Forest Ecosystem Processes 2
*FOR 818 Advanced Silviculture 2
FOR 419 (Sec. 730) Applications of Geographic Information Systems to Natural Resources Management 4
FOR 466 (Sec. 731) Natural Resource Policy 3
FOR 468 (Sec. 730) Forest Management Planning 3
FOR 833 Human Dimensions of Forest Carbon Management 3
FOR 890 Special Problems: Forest Resource Economics 1
3. Complete one of the following asynchronous online courses (3 credits)
FOR 835 Forest Carbon Policy, Economics and Finance 3
FOR 837 Measurement and Monitoring of Forest Carbon 3
FOR 875 R Programming for Data Sciences 3
4. Complete 1 credit of internship experience
FOR 493 Professional Internship in Forestry 1
5. Complete a non-thesis capstone group project through enrollment in FOR 898 Master’s Professional Project (2 cr). This is an intensive, off-campus, in-person field course offered in May of each year. Upon completion of the project a written report and oral presentation must be delivered. This course will run for 9 days in length, will require travel to Michigan and will involve extensive field work and dormitory style housing.
6. Pass a final written and field skills examination administered as part of FOR 898. One re-examination may be scheduled at the discretion of the guidance committee. The final examination must be passed within five calendar years from the date of enrollment in the first course included for degree certification.
*Indicates new courses to be first offered in Fall 2022
Please contact Jim Rivard prior to applying for this program, to ensure it is a good fit for you and aligns with your career goals.