- The capital and main city is Bamako.
- The official language is French
- Area: 478,841 sq mi (approx. 4x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 15 million in 2009
- Climate: Northern Sahara zone in Mali experiences hot and dry climate whereas the climate of Mali in the subtropical southern part is hot and humid
Fun Fact: The prime meridian marker is located in Gao, Mali, where one can literally stand on the edge of two hemispheres.
MSU and Partners achievements in Mali
Brochure in English
Les réalisations de MSU et ses partenaires au Mali
Pamphlet en français
Main Research Themes
- Agrifood System Transformation
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
Publications and Presentations
What Drives Food Processor Use of Local Versus Imported Inputs? Evidence from the Malian Dairy Sector
Published on August 29, 2019
Vroegindewey, Thériault, Richardson, Chung, 2019. What Drives Food Processor Use of Local Versus Imported Inputs? Evidence from the Malian Dairy Sector. FSP Research Paper 147. East Lansing: Michigan State University
Published on August 20, 2019
Yenizié Koné, Alpha Kergna, Abdramane Traoré, Naman Keita, Véronique Thériault, Melinda Smale, Steven Haggblade, 2019. Regard sur les origines de la subvention des engrais au Mali, FSP Research Brief 95- FR, East Lansing: Michigan State University.
Published on August 15, 2019
Yénizié Koné, Véronique Thériault, Alpha Kergna, et Melinda Smale, 2019. LA SUBVENTION DES ENGRAIS AU MALI : ORIGINES, CONTEXTE ET EVOLUTION. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for FSP Research Paper 142- FR. East Lansing: Michigan State University.
Published on July 31, 2019
Abdramane Traoré, Amadou Samaké, Ousmane Sanogo, Steven Haggblade and Yenizie Koné, 2019. Improving Agricultural Policy System Performance in Mali: Stakeholder Diagnostics and Prescriptions. FSP Research Paper 140. East Lansing. Michigan State University
REDUCTION DES MARGES COMMERCIALES DES PRODUITS AGRICOLES: IMPLICATIONS POUR LA SECURITE ALIMENTAIRE DES GROUPES VULNERABLES AU MALI
Published on May 6, 2019
Haggblade, Koné, Traoré and Traoré, 2019. REDUCTION DES MARGES COMMERCIALES DES PRODUITS AGRICOLES: IMPLICATIONS POUR LA SECURITE ALIMENTAIRE DES GROUPES VULNERABLES AU MALI . FSP Research Paper 129. East Lansing, Michigan State University.