- The capital and main city is Yangon.
- The official language is Burmese
- Area: 261,228 sq mi (approx. 3x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 52 million in 2014
- Climate: Myanmar lies in the monsoon region of Asia, with its coastal regions receiving over 5,000 mm (196.9 in) of rain annually
Fun Fact: Myanmar has the largest book in the world. The book is situated in Kuthodaw pagoda in Mandalay. It has 1460 pages and 730 leaves. Each page is 107cm (3.51 ft) wide, 13cm (5.1 in) thick and 153cm (5.02 ft) tall!
Main Research Themes
There are no news stories at this time.
Publications and Presentations
Published on October 29, 2018
Ben Belton, Mateusz Filipski. "Rural Transformation in the Dry Zone: How Much and for Whom?" Summit Park View Hotel, Yangon. October 29, 2018.
Published on September 27, 2018
James R. Watson, Fredrik Armerin, Dane H.Klinger, Ben Belton, 2018. Heliyon
Published on September 6, 2018
Ben Belton, Peixun Fang, and Thomas Reardon, 2018. Mechanization Outsourcing Services in Myanmar's Dry Zone, Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 110. East Lansing: Michigan State University
Published on September 5, 2018
Simon R. Busha, Ben Belton, David C. Little, Md Saidul Islam, 2018. Emerging Trends in Aquaculture Value Chain Research, Aquaculture 498 (2019) 428–434