- The capital and main city is Yangon.
- The official language is Burmese
- Area: 261,228 sq mi (approx. 3x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 52 million in 2014
- Climate: Myanmar lies in the monsoon region of Asia, with its coastal regions receiving over 5,000 mm (196.9 in) of rain annually
Fun Fact: Myanmar has the largest book in the world. The book is situated in Kuthodaw pagoda in Mandalay. It has 1460 pages and 730 leaves. Each page is 107cm (3.51 ft) wide, 13cm (5.1 in) thick and 153cm (5.02 ft) tall!
Main Research Themes
There are no news stories at this time.
Publications and Presentations
Published on July 28, 2018
Nilar Aung, Duncan Boughton, Ben Belton, Mateusz Filipski and Ellen Payongayong, Myanmar’s Rural Economy: A Case Study in Delayed Transformation, Workshop on Rural Transformation in the 21st Century, Vancouver, Canada, July 28, 2018.
Published on July 25, 2018
Duncan Boughton and Ben Belton, USAID Burma Food Security Policy Project: Supporting Agricultural Transformation in Myanmar, USAID Burma, Yangon. July 25, 2018.
Published on July 24, 2018
Duncan Boughton, Steven Haggblade, and Paul Dorosh, 2018. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 105. East Lansing: Michigan State University