West Africa / Sahel
- West Africa has been defined as including 17 countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, the island nation of Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the islands of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo
- Area: 1,974,103 sq mi (approx. 20x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 362 million in 2016
- Climate: In West Africa there are four different climate regions which consists of humid, tropical, savanna, desert, and steppe.
Fun fact: The West African nation of Ghana is the second largest producer of cocoa in the world. West Africa is also home to Lake Volta, the world's largest artificial lake.
Main Research Themes
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
Publications and Presentations
Published on October 13, 2020
Véronique Thériault, Wayne Jiang, Amadou Diarra, Steven Haggblade, Joseph Edmund, Joseph Ipou Ipou, and Abdramane Traore, 2020. Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research Paper 180.
REDUCTION DES MARGES COMMERCIALES DES PRODUITS AGRICOLES: IMPLICATIONS POUR LA SECURITE ALIMENTAIRE DES GROUPES VULNERABLES AU MALI
Published on May 6, 2019
Haggblade, Koné, Traoré and Traoré, 2019. REDUCTION DES MARGES COMMERCIALES DES PRODUITS AGRICOLES: IMPLICATIONS POUR LA SECURITE ALIMENTAIRE DES GROUPES VULNERABLES AU MALI . FSP Research Paper 129. East Lansing, Michigan State University.
Published on May 1, 2019
Steven Haggblade, Yenizie Koné, Abdramane Traoré et Pierre Traoré, 2019.Impact des tracasseries routières sur les populations vulnérables au Mali, FSP Research Brief 87, East Lansing: Michigan State University.
Published on April 2, 2019
Haggblade, Diarra, Jiang Assima, Keita, Traore, and Traore, Fraudulent pesticides in West Africa: quality comparisons and policy implications. April 2, 2019.
A Preliminary Assessment of Herbicide Quality in Mali in the Presence of Proliferating Unregistered Brands of Glyphosate
Published on February 1, 2019
Haggblade, Diarra, Assima, Keita and Traoré , 2018 .A Preliminary Assessment of Herbicide Quality in Mali in the Presence of Proliferating Unregistered Brands of Glyphosate. FSP Research Paper 93. East Lansing, Michigan State University.