West Africa / Sahel
- West Africa has been defined as including 17 countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, the island nation of Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the islands of Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo
- Area: 1,974,103 sq mi (approx. 20x the size of the State of Michigan)
- Population approx. 362 million in 2016
- Climate: In West Africa there are four different climate regions which consists of humid, tropical, savanna, desert, and steppe.
Fun fact: The West African nation of Ghana is the second largest producer of cocoa in the world. West Africa is also home to Lake Volta, the world's largest artificial lake.
Main Research Themes
- Input Use and Market Development
- Policy Research and Capacity Building
- Training and Capacity Building
- Value Chain Analysis
Publications and Presentations
Farm Family Effects of Adopting Improved and Hybrid Sorghum Seed in the Sudan Savanna of West Africa
Published on January 10, 2018
Smale, M., Assima, A., Kergna, A., Theriault, V., and Weltzien, E. 2018. Farm family effects of adopting improved and hybrid sorghum seed in the Sudan Savanna of West Africa. Food Policy, 74 (January): 162-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.01.001
Published on December 14, 2017
Amadou Diarra and Steven Haggblade, USAID, Washington, DC, December 14, 2017
Published on December 8, 2017
With a rapid increase in herbicide use, the West Africa region needs to implement regulations to fight counterfeit products.