Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Department of Horticulture aims to foster a culture where every member of the Department feels valued and inspired to achieve individual and common goals consistent with the missions of MSU.
We have the opportunity as faculty, staff and students to celebrate differences and work together to further integrate diversity, equity and inclusion into our culture - so it becomes who we are and what we do every day.
In addition, MSU and the Horticulture Department are committed to ending discrimination and sexual harassment, including relationship violence and sexual misconduct. Please see our written commitment, which also outlines victim resources.
The Department of Horticulture (HRT) acknowledges the value of diversity and is committed to fostering a safe and supportive workplace that is welcoming of all individuals, regardless of cultural differences and identities. HRT acknowledges that we all have a shared responsibility for the culture within the department. The following behavioral norms are expected of all community members (undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, visiting scholars, staff, faculty, and others affiliated with our Department).
Behavioral standards and expectations:
- Diversifying people and ideas – We recognize that a diverse and inclusive workplace enhances the quality of our work. We promote diversity in our students, workforce, research, and extension/outreach activities. We seek to recruit and hire people from all walks of life, with diverse identities. We seek to include all perspectives in the classroom, promote a broad knowledge base and highlight the accomplishments of diverse colleagues.
- Humanizing – We strive to cultivate a culture that recognizes the humanity of all people. We acknowledge that everyone has different life experiences and circumstances, and we make accommodations to promote equity.
- Communication – We commit to initiating open and honest dialogues to both educate about, and understand, other points of view.
- Integrity and respect – We commit ourselves to kindness and respect. We do not gossip, harass, or humiliate one another. We acknowledge that everyone has implicit biases and we strive to avoid microaggressions and stereotypes. We show grace and humility toward others and seek to uphold their trust.
- Power differentials – We are sensitive to power differentials that exist within the workplace. We do not abuse the rights and responsibilities associated with specific roles in the department. We believe that the ideas of all community members are valuable regardless of their job title.
- Accountability – We hold ourselves accountable for our actions. We work together to resolve conflict and improve equity. We report instances of harassment and discrimination, and support those in need.
- Growth and development – We strive to continue educating ourselves on how to be better colleagues and community members. We commit to reflecting on our own personal biases and adapting to changing norms. We aim to avoid perpetuating inequities.
By following these behavioral standards, we hope to create a collaborative and supportive environment in which all community members can reach their full potential.