Expand your family tree by hosting an International student who will attend your local high school in Michigan!
Michigan is happy to welcome six international year-long delegates this year, 2019-2020.
Our CORE students are from Japan, Korea, and Mexico. Michigan commits to hosting two delegates from these countries. Our partnering organizations are LEX, LABO or BFE.
Our FLEX (Future Leaders Exchange Program) students are from Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, The Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Motenegro, Poland, Romania, Servia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Uzbekistan, and Ukraine. This program is sponsored by our U.S. Department of State. Michigan will host 4 students from these countries.
Our exchange students are between the ages of 15 – 18, and will be sophomores, juniors, or seniors in high school. Delegate information will be available in February or March.
About the Students
- Students come from either Japan, Korea, or from our Future Leaders Exchange (FLEX) and Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program. The FLEX students hail from Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Estonia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Romania, Poland, Serbia and Ukraine. YES students are from Bulgaria, Turkey and Egypt.
- The U.S. Dept. of State sponsors our YES and FLEX students in a competitive scholarship program. These exchange students are finalists in the top 2-4% of the applicant pool.
- You can request age, gender, and country of your student.
- All of our host families are supported by our Local Coordinators.
- Our host families can assist in selecting their exchange student.
- Once screened, our families have access to files on our students in order to select a good match.
- We offer a family orientation, before delegates arrive, during the summer with helpful books and information packets. During the school-year, your local coordinator keeps in regular contact.
- We require families and students submit an online monthly report, which takes about 5 mins.
- Students will attend three orientations, two of which will include host families.
- Our exchange students and their host siblings are also encouraged to participate in Michigan 4-H Youth Leadership and Global Citizenship Spectacular in September and Capitol Experience in March.
Help make their year in Michigan a rewarding one.
To begin the process, submit an application to D'Ann Rohrer - either by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal service, address below.
3000 North Stiles Rd
Scottville, MI 49454
High School acceptance, home photos, and home interview will follow.
You don't need to be involved with 4-H to host, but we ask you to complete Michigan Volunteer Process and register for 4-H as part of our hosting process.
Please note: Host family selection is dependent on completion of an applicant screening process as well as student availability and personality compatibility.