Arborist / Urban Forestry Coordinator
City of Smyrna, Delaware
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Smyrna, DE
Application Deadline: July 3, 2020
The Town of Smyrna, Delaware, is seeking a self-starter as its newest member of the Public Works team. The successful candidate will have a passion for nature and preserving, maintaining and enhancing the Town's urban forestry efforts. Willing to get their hands dirty, this position will require the technical skills of an arborist while affording the successful candidate of the beautiful outdoors as their primary office.
POSITION TITLE: ARBORIST / URBAN FORESTRY COORDINATOR
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC WORKS
REPORTS TO: PUBLIC WORKS OPERATIONS MANAGER
I. POSITION SUMMARY
A technical skilled position within the Public Works department, this position will directly oversee the implementation of the Town’s Urban Forestry Program, which will include but not be limited to tree plantings, maintenance, town-wide landscaping management and other related organizational needs. The position will include the management of all relevant third-party contracts and contractors, support Town policy development and administration and engage the public at community events or association meetings. Oversight of support staff may be required.
II. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The below listed essential duties and responsibilities are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for this position.
- Administer and enforce the Town’s Charter and related ordinances.
- Supervises, inspects, and manages Town contracts for tree pruning, tree removals, contractual providers when performing tree/landscaping maintenance.
- Conduct tree planting, tree pruning recommendations, assist with tree watering, seek opportunities to enhance the Town’s tree planting program via grants, and coordinate community tree planting events.
- Solicit proposals and monitor work for vegetation management of all Town’s properties.
- Respond to tree maintenance issues in commercial zones, including maintenance of grates and tree wells.
- Coordinate with Town staff to complete land development landscape review, complete construction inspections as directed, and support other related Town Charter or Code compliance needs.
- Conduct tree inspections and prepare inspection reports.
- Maintain an accurate tree inventory database, provide accurate data to committees, commissions, and management.
- Oversee tree-related sidewalk repairs, including correspondence with property owners, tree root shaving or sidewalk re-alignments as necessary, and coordination with other staff.
- Report to the Town’s Shade Tree Commission regarding any tree removal applications and provide tree inspection reports/ recommendations.
- Provides community outreach including organizing workshops and volunteer led events.
III. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of ANSI 300 practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of essential elements of a comprehensive urban forestry program, state and local government, including knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Knowledge of current practices and procedures of maintaining an urban forest including tree planting, species selection, maintenance, and tree pruning.
- Knowledge of tree protection measures for construction sites and other heavily traversed public areas.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of record keeping, principles and practices of business computer applications (including word processing, spreadsheet and tree inventory database management systems), principles and practices of budget administration.
- Knowledge and ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce occupational hazards and standard safety procedures as well as for job related safety requirements for operation of trucks and other equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing; positively work with the community and make presentations to public bodies.
- Ability to read landscape plans, maps, utility prints, and familiarity with tree protection measures on construction sites.
- Ability to analyze complex issues and develop and implement appropriate responses.
- Possess the skill or quickly become proficient in technology and software applications required to fulfill assigned tasks.
- Ability work outdoors, in all weather, and walk including on uneven surfaces, stand, bend, twist, crouch, crawl or other physical needs to fulfill assigned tasks, which includes the ability to lift at least 50 pounds with proper lifting techniques to meet the physical requirements necessary to perform assigned duties.
- Ability to observe safety principles and work in a safe manner. Operate hand and power tools competently and safely.
IV. REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in landscape design, forestry, botany or related field preferred; other educational background with relevant experience will be considered.
- Two or more years’ experience in urban forestry or related work, with a preference to local government or State operations.
- Minimum of one-year experience completing inspections as an arborist preferred.
- Any combination of experience, education or certifications that can provide an equivalent to required education and experience will be accepted.
V. LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, AND/OR CERTIFICATES
- Possess, or ability to obtain, and maintain ISA credentials within one (1) year from hire.
- Possess, or ability to obtain, and maintain State of Delaware Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License within one (1) year from hire.
- Maintain valid driver’s license at all times to full assigned tasks.
VI. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must pass a criminal background check and pre-employment physical.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends for emergency related task.