Assistant Manager - Growing
Spring Meadow Nursery, Inc.
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Grand Haven, MI
Application Deadline: August 31, 2021
Are you a plant-loving, analytical, idea-driven person who has been itching for the opportunity to make a difference? We want to hear from you! Spring Meadow Nursery, Inc. is seeking passionate, plant-savvy horticulture professional to help us continue to change the way people think about our products.
In this position, you will work closely with Growing Manager to plan and implement all work activities relating to plant growth and care after plant material is received from the propagation department. See that crops meet their target finish dates and ensure all plant material meets specifications prior to shipment. Interact closely with Growing Manager and other supervisors concerning overall production operations.
- Monitor plant growth and quality on a daily basis within assigned area.
- Keep assigned area clean and weed free at all times.
- Maintain an accurate product inventory with proper quality codes.
- Monitor and adjust projected finish dates of each crop while continuously evaluating plant salability.
- Develop and maintain a watering schedule.
- Monitor assigned houses daily.
- Assess watering requirements based on individual crop needs.
- Daily record keeping of crew activities while monitoring efficiency and work flow.
- Determine activity rates.
- Adjust work activities to ensure production goals are met.
- Complete incentive worksheets and inform crew members of incentive pay.
- Work with Growing Manager and other assistants to develop, maintain, and continuously evaluate a thorough IPM program.
- Monitor pest and disease activity and maintain records.
- Determine control methods and procedures.
- Follow through with pest control as needed.
- Train new applicators on safety and proper techniques.
- Assign placement of plant material to best utilize available space.
- Group plants together according to cultural needs.
- Change locations in the inventory database within timely manner.
- Determine target dates of plant material and group plants together as best needed for cultural needs.
- Monitor and adjust nutritional program based on soil test results and plant growth requirements.
- Set up schedule for in-house soil sampling and outside laboratory testing.
- Maintain records and make recommendations to improve plant growth.
- Determine fertilizer use based on plant requirements.
- Assess results of fertilizer applications based on plant growth and test results.
- Develop fertilizer experiments to further optimize plant growth.
- Develop and maintain schedule of herbicide applications where appropriate and follow up with hand weeding.
- Determine timing of herbicide applications.
- Assess results of herbicide application based on plant growth and weed activity.
- Trial new herbicides to expand rotational chemicals.
- Develop and maintain pruning procedure and schedule.
- Determine timing and method of pruning based on plant size, shape, and the need for cuttings.
- Assess the results of pruning activities and continuously improve.
- Monitor, maintain and repair equipment and facilities used in production.
- Daily inspection of greenhouse roofs, fans, louvers, shade curtains and heaters.
- Implement and perform preventative maintenance on heaters before winter use.
- Perform regularly scheduled inspections of irrigation systems to ensure functionality and uniformity of water delivery.
- Monitor fertilizer/chemical injection systems.
- Perform special projects, as assigned
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Follow Spring Meadow Nursery, Inc. Safety Policy.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- 2 or 4 years Horticulture or related degree.
- 1-2 years of work experience with plants.
- This is a hands-on position that requires activities throughout the nursery greenhouses. Must be able to assist the crews in their daily work assignments as needed.
- Computer skills are required for growing-related tasks in the SBI nursery database as well as proficiency in Excel and Word.
- Bilingual English-Spanish skills are highly desirable.
- Must maintain a level of performance equivalent to company standards, that being a “Meets Expectations” in all areas of your performance evaluations (Self and Management reviews).
*The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
This organization participates in E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification. If you require an accommodation in the application process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team at (616) 846-4729.