Central Michigan University
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Mount Pleasant, MI
Application Deadline: December 2, 2018
Keeps campus grounds attractive year round; operates motor vehicles and maintenance equipment; maintains and prepares fields for athletic events; and ensures students, faculty and staff can move about campus even during inclement weather. Oversees and assists in the planting and routine care of lawns, trees, shrubs, athletic fields and other campus horticultural items in an assigned area; performs related work as required. Assists other trades as necessary to coordinate caretaker equipment and duties on projects as needed.
- High school education or equivalent
- Two years experience in landscaping or work of a qualifying nature
- Possess a State of Michigan Pesticide Applicator Certification in Categories 3A, 3B, and 6
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to obtain, within one year of employment, a CDL Group A with air brake endorsement within the timeframes established by the department.
- Ability to meet the provisions of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Work in a manner that will not endanger the safety of other persons, oneself, equipment and property
- Perform operator maintenance
- Must successfully complete a grounds maintenance course provided by CMU within two years and successfully complete two years of employment in CMU Landscape Operations to progress to a Senior Caretaker level.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervises and performs the full scope and range of Caretaker duties.
- Instructs assigned support employees in work methods and processes.
- Inspects assigned areas for evidence of disease, insects and pests, and takes appropriate corrective actions.
- Performs operator maintenance on all equipment.
- Lays out, marks and maintains athletic areas, such as football fields, ball diamonds, tracks and tennis courts.
- Lays out, installs and maintains irrigation systems.
- Operates large front end loaders, backhoe, mobile aerial work platform and other motorized vehicles and equipment.
- Oversees and assists in planting and care of turf, trees, shrubs, flowers and other horticultural items.
- Coordinates with and assists other trades on projects requiring caretaker equipment and assistance.
- Works in other shops/areas as assigned.
Message to Applicants
You must submit an on-line application in order to be considered as an applicant for this position.
Cover letters may be addressed to the Hiring Committee.
Staff Pay Level
Finance and Administrative Services
Weekly Work Schedule
Monday - Friday; 7:00am - 4:00pm; Some Nights and Weekends as Required
Mount Pleasant, MI
About the Department
Founded 125 years ago, Central Michigan University is a major, national university with 26,000 students, more than 30 remote locations in the U.S. and Canada, and 225,000 alumni worldwide.
CMU offers more than 200 academic programs at the undergraduate, master’s, specialist and doctoral levels. Academic excellence is found in programs considered among the best in the nation, such as engineering, information systems, neuroscience, physician assistant, physical therapy, sales, logistics, fashion merchandising and design, advertising, marketing, public relations, and broadcasting. Central has been a pioneer in extended learning for nearly 50 years, and its online programs for undergraduates and the military, as well as its online MBA and online graduate education for teachers and school leaders, are nationally ranked.
Central Michigan University expands its academics with immersive, hands-on opportunities such as research, volunteering, study abroad, internships and leadership experiences.
The fourth-largest university in Michigan began with the mission of addressing a demand for teachers prepared and qualified to lead classrooms and educate future generations. That commitment to fulfilling unmet needs continues today through many newer programs, including our College of Medicine, which in May 2017 graduated its first class of doctors dedicated to serving medically underserved communities.
Employees have access to fitness facilities and a nationally recognized wellness program as well as health care and benefits that exceed regional, state and national norms.
With student-athletes who are expected to perform equally well in the classroom and on the field, CMU is a member of the NCAA Division I Mid-American Conference. CMU Athletics regularly earns accolades for student excellence in the classroom (almost 30 percent of our students were honored in spring 2017 for GPAs of 3.5 or higher) and on the field, with frequent men’s and women’s championship seasons in sports such as football, basketball, gymnastics, field hockey, soccer, baseball and softball, and wrestling.
Central is located in a quaint, tight-knit community in the heart of central lower Michigan. Our community offers a robust mix of outdoor opportunities, family attractions, and restaurants and brew pubs. Mount Pleasant’s small-town life is complemented by cultural activities on campus, including concerts, plays and guest speakers. Mount Pleasant is an hour or two from most Michigan destination spots, including Detroit, Grand Rapids, Lansing and Ann Arbor, as well as the state’s sunset beaches, golf and ski resorts, and our famous “Up North” communities, state parks and lakes.Apply