Director - Urban Forestry
Sustainable Forestry Initiative
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Flexible within US or Canada
Application Deadline: January 22, 2021
SFI® Inc. is a sustainability leader that stands for future forests. We are an independent, non-profit organization that provides supply chain assurances, produces conservation outcomes, and supports education and community engagement. SFI works with the forest sector, brand owners, conservation groups, resource professionals, landowners, educators, local communities, Indigenous peoples, governments, and universities. SFI standards and on-product labels help consumers make responsible purchasing decisions. We oversee the SFI Forest Partners® Program, which aims to increase the source of certified forest products, the SFI Conservation and Community Partnerships Grant Program, which funds research and community building, and Project Learning Tree®, which develops students’ appreciation for and knowledge of the environment. SFI Inc. is governed by an independent three-chamber board of directors representing environmental, social, and economic sectors equally.
SFI standards have become the fastest growing, highly trusted solution that can support a growing need for
products from the forest, as the drive to reduce carbon pollution and waste intensifies. We are working to shape markets today and ensure that sustainably managed forests will continue to play a crucial role in keeping the planet healthy.
The Director Urban Forestry will support SFI’s mission of advancing sustainability through forest-focused
collaborations by working with a network of urban forestry leaders in the development of a standard, and lead
SFI’s efforts in enhancing urban forestry, and the sustainability of these forests.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Strategic leader of SFI’s urban forestry programs, including development of a SFI Urban Forestry standard,
outreach/networking, and other efforts to elevate SFI’s role in urban forests.
• Lead the development of an SFI Urban Forestry Standard, with support from a task group comprised of
urban forestry experts, considering how the standard can contribute to human health and public education,
identifying potential users, considering market acceptance, and shaping a public consultation process.
• Lead the outreach efforts for consultation of the SFI Urban Forestry Standard.
• Market and communicate the SFI Urban Forestry Standard to potential users for uptake.
• Work with SFI’s Senior Director of Strategic Partnerships to identify fundraising opportunities in urban
• Lead SFI’s efforts with consortia such as 1t.org and Canada’s 2 Billion Trees.
• Assist Project Learning Tree U.S. and Project Learning Tree Canada on the development of urban forestry
environmental education modules and green employment opportunities within urban forestry.
• Collaborate with SFI’s conservation staff and with external conservation partners to ensure the standard
reflects key conservation considerations.
• Serve as SFI’s urban forestry expert with external audiences and at partnership events.
• Degree in forestry, urban forestry, natural resources, or related field.
• At least 5 years of experience in urban forestry with a vast network within the urban forestry community
• Familiarity with and appreciation of standards and certification programs
• Demonstrated experience launching and managing a new program of work for a prior employer
The ideal candidate will bring:
• Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative approach with partners and stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to be a problem solver and a utility player
• Positive attitude and high energy, enjoyment working cooperatively in a team environment
• Track record for managing multiple complex projects in a fast-paced environment, handling tasks with
diplomacy, tenacity, patience, and a drive for results
• Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to effectively plan, analyze, and meet
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (particularly Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
• Superior written and verbal communications skills
• A sound work ethic with the ability to act both independently and as part of a team
• Ability to travel, up to 30% of time
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, email a resume and cover letter to the attention of Jason Metnick, Senior Vice
President Customer Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should say “Application: Director Urban
Forestry”. Applications will be accepted until January 22, 2021, or until the position is filled.
SFI Inc. is proud to provide our employees with a collaborative, dynamic, and rewarding professional
experience, with a competitive compensation and benefits package and growth opportunities. We are
committed to creating a diverse environment and being an equal opportunity employer. Our team represents a
broad range of cultures, education, disciplines, and work and life experiences, and we strive to leverage these
differences in our daily work. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race,
color, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, or any
other protected characteristic. We believe in creating an empowered and supportive team that is committed to
advancing sustainability through forest-focused collaborations.