Extension Specialist in Horticulture
Montana State University
Employment type: Full-Time
Application Deadline: February 6, 2020
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Extension Specialist or Associate Specialist will develop broad, multi-faceted Extension Education programs relevant to horticulture needs in Montana. Examples of audiences will include: county/reservation agents, small acreage landowners, commercial fruit and vegetable producers, the green industry, Master Gardeners, students, and the citizens of Montana. Opportunities exist for local, regional, and national collaborations. The successful candidate will provide subject matter expertise to the Master Gardener Program in Montana and assist with Master Gardener Program activities as identified by the Master Gardener Coordinator. This position will serve as a horticulture subject matter expert and resource to Extension agents, on- and off-campus faculty, industry members, home/landowners, and state and federal agencies engaged in related issues. Candidate is expected to partner and assist with the statewide Integrated Pest Management program.
Cooperation and collaboration with other research and extension personnel is expected. Duties will include development of programs and publications targeting relevant audiences in forums including print, web, and other media. For tenure-track faculty, there will be an expectation for research. Extensive travel is required throughout the state and occasional travel outside of Montana will be required.
- Earned MS in horticulture or a related field
- Experience in planning, facilitating, and teaching successful Extension or other outreach educational programs
- Evidence of effective written communications such as peer reviewed and/or extension publications
- Computer literacy as demonstrated by evidence of computer use in program development, delivery and/or management
- PhD in horticulture or a related field
- Experience working with the media
- Experience evaluating outreach programs
- Ability to integrate research and extension programming
- For tenure track faculty candidates, evidence of successful external grant funding and publishing peer reviewed research
The successful Candidate will:
Possess superior public speaking and written skills, be flexible and innovative in dealing with the constantly changing Extension environment and be able to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences regarding horticultural issues.
Upload your Curriculum Vita or resume and a cover letter outlining how you meet each individual required and preferred qualification. Please note, this posting requires contact information for three professional references within your app profile.Apply