Kid's Food Basket
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Application Deadline: January 6, 2020
Kids’ Food Basket seeks an experienced Farm Manager to join our mission-driven team. The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of farming experience and is ready to lead this new position with energy, knowledge and a no-task-too-small attitude.
The Farm Manager position is a hands-on role, responsible for managing our production operations as well as furthering programming objectives with the facilitation and leadership of Volunteer and Experiential Learning programs. Qualified candidates have experience managing a greenhouse as well as planning and scheduling planting and harvest to meet the Farm’s goals. This person will have the ability and skill set to motivate their team to regularly meet deadlines and achieve goals. This role will require cross-functional collaboration within the organization. Additionally, the Farm Manager will frequently represent Kids’ Food Basket in the community and with external partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for complete end to end operations to include long term strategy and daily operations of the farm and greenhouse
• Responsible for plant health; equipment procurement, operation, and maintenance; and established food safety protocols
• Develop a crop plan consistent with sustainable standards to achieve harvest goals for distribution. This includes propagation schedule, yields needed, crop selections, plans for rotations & sequencing of plantings, soil fertility, cultivation, pest and disease management, harvesting, and year-end reporting
• Conduct production planning, resource allocation, and scheduling for all farm activities
• Ensure that goals for both yield and quality are consistently met or exceeded
• Responsible for harvesting produce and scheduling appropriate resources to support
• Direct the design and maintenance of irrigation systems
Sales & Distribution
• Build and maintain relationships with wholesale and retail produce purchasers
• Design and implement sales and distribution strategy in collaboration with other staff
• Clearly communicate the mission, objectives and methods of growing on the farm to community members and volunteers in concert with Experiential Learning Program Staff
• Other duties as assigned
• Maintain clean and safe farm grounds, including mowing, weed whipping, washing harvest containers, cleaning farm equipment, etc.
• Responsible for management of farm staff and interns and the safety of all farm staff and volunteers
• Report to and communicate with collaborative partners inside and outside Kids’ Food Basket
• Maintain a daily work log to plan and record details of field work accomplished, including inventory of equipment and supplies
• Provide insight to annual budgeting activities to estimate costs of farm inputs and outputs
• Plan farm schedule based around yield, education, and volunteer needs
• Participate in the Urban Farm and Experiential Learning Committee
• Perform tractor and equipment maintenance and upkeep such as arranging service, maintenance, cleaning, etc.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please click here