Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Detroit, MI
Application Deadline: March 26, 2019
Job Description: Farm Technician
The farm technician is instrumental for insuring that day to day operations of the pesticide / herbicide free, year-round vertical farming operations are conducted efficiently and consistent with Artesian Farm’s (AF) standard operation procedures (SOP). This individual will have responsibilities for seeding, transplanting, harvesting and packaging produce grown in the farm. The farm tech will undergo training in hydroponic nutrient mixes as well as specific training on AF plant nutrient mixes and nutrient maintenance procedures the AF Vertical Growing Stations (VGS). This position will also provide support with farm construction of the VGS units and routine farm maintenance and cleaning as directed by the floor manager.
A horticultural background is preferred but not required. The farm tech must possess basic reading and math skills which are necessary to complete the training program and perform daily farm task. Individual must have demonstrated to have worked in a fast-paced team-oriented environment. The candidate must be willing to work in an innovative and emerging solution to change the way food is grown.
Duties and Requirement:
- Nursery: seeding, transplanting and watering
- Water Maintenance: mixing nutrients, checking and adjusting levels of nutrients of the water in the VGS units.
- Farm Work: planting, assessing plant health, trimming, harvesting, cleaning systems as directed by the floor manager.
- Post-Harvest handling: packaging
- Floor maintenance: sweep and mop floors and sterilize farm equipment.
- Construction: assist with construction projects, such as erecting VGS units and other farm modification as directed by floor manager.