Employment type: Full-Time
Job Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Application Deadline: November 28, 2018
Sakata is committed to providing a workplace free of any and all kinds of discrimination. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to promote a culturally diverse workforce. Thanks to our global and multicultural business environment, individuals can meet and work with people from all over the world.
Responsible for the production and development of foundation, stock seed & experimental production in Sakata Home Farm field locations. Main emphasis and goals are to produce 99% marketable seed, research and explore new techniques of seed production and development. Work with the Stock Seed Production Team on crop maintenance and effective field techniques, and to promote new ideas to reach company goals. Input and maintenance of all information and data regarding crop information into company systems are essential. Other responsibilities and assignments may be asked as well.
- Responsible for coordinating, scheduling, preparation, cage construction and insuring proper isolations, and oversight of growth through harvest for all production in the assigned area.
- Aids in sharing and training proper procedures and techniques to assure high quality seed production and good Grower relations.
- Maintains crop records of all fields/productions in a timely manner, including updating crop estimates, recipes and cultural farming suggestions annually.
- Prepare, maintain, observe, and take good notes on trials for production research.
- Work with the Management to develop annual Budget. Also responsible for maintaining / reviewing budget and area expenses on a monthly basis.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of the Sr. Stock Seed Manager.
- Minimum 3 years experience in an agricultural field.
- Minimum of two years of field work experience within the seed industry preferred.
- Must be able to work under different conditions such as extremes of temperature, dampness, rain, dust and sun exposure.
- Must be able to work long and irregular hours during busy seasons.
- Must be able to wear personal protective gear when required.
- Must be able to work with chemicals and other irritating substances.
Knowledge / Skills Required
- Must have good computer skills, being able to effectively use Excel, Word, and email for correspondence, along with operating other office machines.
- Must have good communication skills, including both oral and written presentations.
- Experience in operating various types of farm equipment, including tractor driving with a sound understanding of safe equipment operations and maintenance.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred
- BS Degree in the agricultural field of plant science.
- Courses in pathology and crop physiology desired.
- Current and valid Driver’s license required.
- Must obtain a Private Applicator Pesticide License within one year.
Please click the apply button or use the provided link: https://sakataornamentals.com/careers/field-agronomist/.