Field Technicians - Forestry Innovation Center
Michigan State University Forestry Innovation Center (FIC)
Employment type: Internship
Job Location: Escanaba, MI
Application Deadline: March 25, 2021
Michigan State University’s Forestry Innovation Center (FIC) will be hiring 2-3 summer field technicians to assist in a wide range of tasks on the research forest. FIC is an 8500+ acre research and demonstration forest located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan headquartered just outside of Escanaba with satellite forests near Marquette and Sault Ste. Marie. Jobs will rotate between the Sault Ste. Marie and Escanaba locations to maximize work experience throughout the summer. Housing is provided at both locations. We are looking for self-motivated interns that can work in variable weather conditions, alone and in small teams. These positions will give interns hands-on field forestry experience and skillsets. Plus, you get to spend the summer in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula!
Technicians will assist MSU foresters to:
- Identify and mark property boundaries
- Cruise timber in designated stands and compile data for future timber sales
- Mark sale boundaries and estimate volume and stumpage value
- Clear trails of downfalls using various implements (bulldozer, tractor/brushhog, skidloader, gator, chainsaws)
- Perform general upkeep and simple maintenance of Dunbar and Escanaba infrastructure
- Care for newly planted Chestnut orchard and Christmas tree plantations
- Establish maple syrup demonstration sugarbush infrastructure (layout and install mainlines, lateral lines with drops, install sap tanks, etc.)
- Data entry from timber cruising and regeneration plot data
- Assist with data collection in lowland conifer stands
- Assist in the construction of a post and beam structure to cover a portable sawmill and a pellet mill.
- Assist in fencing 110 acres to exclude deer
- Student enrolled in Forestry major or closely-related curriculum
- Willingness to work outside in various weather conditions
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record
- Heavy equipment operation a plus but not required (willingness to learn)
Working Conditions: The position will be primarily field-based, including some hot and humid weather. Field conditions may include carrying equipment and exposure to inclement weather, uneven terrain, insects and allergens.
Location: The position is based at Michigan State University’s Forestry Innovation Center in Escanaba, Michigan, and includes work at Sault Ste. Marie and other forest locations.
Compensation: $12-15/hour, based on experience, for 40 hours per week, May-August 2019 between Spring and Fall semesters. Vehicle is available for travel between field sites. Housing is provided.
Apply: Email 1) a 1-page letter of interest detailing interest and qualifications for the position, 2) resume/CV with current GPA, 3) three professional references with contact information. Email: Dr. Jesse Randall, Department of Forestry, Michigan State University: firstname.lastname@example.org. All applicants will have to apply online (a link will be sent to those who contact with the information above)
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed until March 25, 2021, or until the positions have been filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
MSU is an equal opportunity employer and the MSU Department of Forestry is committed to promoting diversity in research.